The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has an original Chinese SKS that he is willing to sell me. The gun is in perfect condition with no wear or any blemishes and all marching numbers. It came directly from china it was taken out of the military box and sold to him. He wants 550 for the gun and 100 rounds. Is this worth it?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My friend has an original Chinese SKS that he is willing to sell me. The gun is in perfect condition with no wear or any blemishes and all marching numbers. It came directly from china it was taken out of the military box and sold to him. He wants 550 for the gun and 100 rounds. Is this worth it?
Well it depends. 1 year ago I would've said no. I'm inclined to still think that. But in recent months w/all the panic buying, it could easily sell at that price.
Now some FYI. Chinese SKS rifles were imported into the U.S. probably by the millions in the 1980's. They are military style weapons. But were made for export. Very few were actually used by the Chinese military. Original 1980's U.S. selling price was less than $100.
Clinton ended the importing of them and they haven't been imported in over 20 years. So values have gone up. IMO the pre panic value of one in EX condition might be in the $300. range. 100 rds of ammo- pre-ammo shortage price. $25. Now, whatever you can get.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ridiculous high price-
Just another seller taking advantage of panic buying :bleh:
You can be part of the problem & pay it or help stop the nonsense & just say no-

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Ridiculous high price-
Just another seller taking advantage of panic buying :bleh:
You can be part of the problem & pay it or help stop the nonsense & just say no-
I think that's a bit too mild. I'd be tempted to offer to help him find a nice warm snug place for it where the sun doesn't shine.

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
First of all, 100 rounds of 7.62 x 39 is $100. I had to pay $22 at wally world for a box of 20 when I bought my SKS a year and a half ago long before all this panic crap. So, that brings the cost down to $450. I got mine at a very good deal from an estate auction and paid $250 for it and it had a composite stock. I traded the rifle for my 1911 pistol and am now looking for another one. I think $450 too high to pay for it though, $350 would be a more fair price. However, it is becoming less easy to find one at a reasonable price so perhaps the extra $100 is worth it. Swinesteins gun bill is now getting flushed down the toilet so in the next six months the prices will start to drop some and supplies will become more available - especially if the House defunds the DHS purchases.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
First of all, 100 rounds of 7.62 x 39 is $100. I had to pay $22 at wally world for a box of 20 when I bought my SKS a year and a half ago long before all this panic crap. So, that brings the cost down to $450. I got mine at a very good deal from an estate auction and paid $250 for it and it had a composite stock. I traded the rifle for my 1911 pistol and am now looking for another one. I think $450 too high to pay for it though, $350 would be a more fair price. However, it is becoming less easy to find one at a reasonable price so perhaps the extra $100 is worth it. Swinesteins gun bill is now getting flushed down the toilet so in the next six months the prices will start to drop some and supplies will become more available - especially if the House defunds the DHS purchases.
You bought your ammo at the wrong place. Probably U.S. made. You could buy Russian MFG steel case for around $5. per 20.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
My BIL just bought a nice Norinco at garage sale for $200

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
You bought your ammo at the wrong place. Probably U.S. made. You could buy Russian MFG steel case for around $5. per 20.
Perhaps, but it was the only place I found it at the time. I do have some AP Chinese steel core ammo now though on stripper clips and I paid less for it :) This stuff punches a clean hole though 1/4" steel plate.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I just bought 660 rounds of 7.62x39 for 200.00 and thought that was reasonable for this market. You can find it for that if you look hard enough. I saw several cases of 1000 for 339.00 which isnt too bad in this market.....

·
Premium Member
19,860 Posts
Cabela's has tons in stock at my store. They are $299. This guy is asking way to much. I can't almost always beat the price at Cabela's some place else.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I think that's a bit too mild. I'd be tempted to offer to help him find a nice warm snug place for it where the sun doesn't shine.
Just don't buy it if you don't like the price. His gun,his price. He has the right to sell for any amount he wants. It's not wrong,immoral,gouging or anything like that. If I want to sell something of mine for my price and you come over to shove it up my keister because you think I should sell cheaper we are going to have problems of the highest order.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Just don't buy it if you don't like the price. His gun,his price. He has the right to sell for any amount he wants. It's not wrong,immoral,gouging or anything like that. If I want to sell something of mine for my price and you come over to shove it up my keister because you think I should sell cheaper we are going to have problems of the highest order.
Everyone has a right to try to make a profit. But to try to make a killing is indeed gouging. The honesty and morality of it is IMO questionable. Fortunately the OP took the time to do some research and hopefully won't allow himself to be RIPPED OFF by the unscrupulous. Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Im in complete agreement with you on this but I will say that I refuse to get involved in this market on either side. I would rather just wait until it gets back to somewhat normal...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Im in complete agreement with you on this but I will say that I refuse to get involved in this market on either side. I would rather just wait until it gets back to somewhat normal...
That's the unsaid quotient. Knowledge is power in gun trading. The unknowledgeable get ripped off because they don't take the time to research. Which in today's age in incredibly easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts