Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Original Colt 3rd Model Dragoon

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

inplanotx
    (3/13/02 4:43:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Colt Third Model Dragoon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have been away for the past month in Phoenix due to the passing of my mother. During that time I had a chance to revisit some of my old gun buddies. I came across this Colt and here is some info on it. I would like to know an approximate price for it also. For pictures, please email me at "richard.spragg@st.com"

Colt Third Model Dragoon Revolver

Ser. Number 18720
    Caliber 44 Cap and Ball
    Barrel 8 inch
    Color Brown Pateen
    Shipment date March 1860 (Factory authentication letter)

This pistol is highly engraved and also has gold bands on the barrel, loading lever and cyclinder. The backstrap is gold washed as is the trigger guard. The engraving has been traced as being "New York Style" as witnessed by an "EX" and "IE" with a small "G" in circle as was used by "Sckyler, Hartley and Graham" from 1860 to 1890. This is explained by Colt historian Kathleen J. Hoyt in her letter to the original family who had this pistol in their possession for more than 100 years. The family also states that the pistol was first purchased by a Union Calvary Captain prior to the Civil War at the Colt factory. The family states that the pistol saw extensive use at Gettysburg. I have pictures and also the Colt authentication letter to the family in West Columbus, Texas. Please email me and I will send the pictures and a fax number and I will send the letter. Many thanks for the help. The pistol is in a case (not original) with a powder flask, nipple wrench and bullet mould. I do not know if these are originals but can be seen in the pictures. I would say that the finish is 90% or better, but do not know the bore condition. The weapon is fully functional.

I am not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could!

Edited by: inplanotx at: 3/13/02 5:05:11 pm

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/14/02 12:21:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Colt Third Model Dragoon
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If it were mine and for some reason I was forced to sell it - and it would take some damned serious forcing - I would consign it to Christie's or Julia's. Starting bid $25K.