Original (old) Kentucky and Plains type rifles.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

astute observer
    (12/5/02 11:06:21 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Original (old) Kentucky and Plains type rifles.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I just stumbled across this forum, quite by accident! I am a collector (a very serious one!) of percussion rifles and other guns by Upper Midwestern makers. I am also a published author on the subject...of both books and magazine articles.

If anyone has any questions about makers or identifying guns, I would be glad to help. I cannot guarantee that I will have an answer in every case, but have pretty fair overall knowledge as well as lot's of reference material (some from unpublished sources). C J

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/5/02 11:12:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Original (old) Kentucky and Plains type rifles.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    astute observer - very nice to meet you!

If you look down a few more forums here you'll find one for blackpowder - look forward to hearing more from you!

I'd love to find an original Kentucky flintlock - chances are rare that I will and even if I did could never afford one. But love looking at them.

astute observer
    (12/5/02 11:24:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Original (old) Kentucky and Plains type rifles.
    Thanks for the welcome, Lynn! I had already looked at the black powder forum. It appears to be geared more toward replicas and shooting black powder guns than toward collecting the old ones. I will, however, post there also!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/5/02 11:33:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    astute - as I said if I could afford an original I'd have one - but right now I'll settle for what I can get.

Think you'll find most forums are geared to reproductions - though there are some very fine ones out there - I know a couple of people who have had theirs done as close to original as possible. Got a company down in Twin Falls (about 120 miles east of me) that makes them using original specifications - gorgeous rifles (but pricey).

Anyway do enjoy the board and as I said earlier - look forward to hearing more from you (pictures of some of the original ones would be nice too)!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/6/02 10:40:43 am)
    Astute.....how dare you tempt TLynn (the little mother of us all)!

She's already building an addition to her house to store all of her rifles.....get her started collecting antique smokepoles and she'll have to go on Food Stamps!

In any case.....WELCOME ABOARD!

astute observer
    (12/6/02 6:22:07 pm)
    Been there, done that....put on a room addition three years ago just for the collection. Doesn't everyone's house have a "gun room"? Thanks for the welcome Xracer!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/6/02 7:24:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Now sir some of us just don't have much money to be building gun rooms (lol).

Still anything is better than trying to fit guns, safes, ammo, computer and all in a 10 x 10 1/2 room (I even sleep here once in awhile - lol - oh wait that's because this is my bedroom - nevermind).

We all look forward to hearing more from you.

Xracer - well I think I might just go with a 30-40 gun safe to go with the 16 gun safe now.

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/6/02 8:43:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Hey Now!...
    Same as the rest have said...Welcome!...If ya do have Pic's share them with us...if you have never posted pic's let us know...We'll help you!...For some of us lately Blackpowder rifles are an interest and I think we're all interested to learn more!!!...and Oh yeah!...if ya didn't know I'm the best shot around here...jest call me Dead-eye!..Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloader...don't matter...it's all easy!...

astute observer
    (12/6/02 9:39:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Hey Now!...
    Thanks Smokin! Yes, I do have pics, and no....I've never posted any. Help in that area would be needed and appreciated! CJ

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/6/02 9:47:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Hey Now!...
    To post pics you need to be able to place them on the internet. A web site of some sort in other words.

Here's a decent one I've found

www.picturetrail.com/

Once there it shows you how to join and upload pictures from your computer.

Once uploaded and you've got them in your album (that's what they're calling it) you left click on the picture (it's in a small form at that point) and it'll make it page size (well bigger anyway). Using your mouse's right button (right click in other words), click on the photo and it'll bring up a list of stuff, go down to properties and left click. That'll show you another small popup type screen - copy the url it shows.

When you get here type [ img ] before and [ / img ] afterwards (no spaces though).

Viola a picture has been posted.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/8/02 9:21:57 am)
    Welcome abord there Mr. Astute! I tend to agree with you...I thought everyone had a gun room. Worst problem is deciding what to takeon hunting season...Do I take "old reliable" or something else a little different that has been riding in the safe a few years.

By the way, As a potential beginning muzzleloader hunter...do you recommend in-line or traditional and why??? I have heard that for pellets to be reliable in line is what you use??? regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/8/02 9:55:58 am)
    Yea and if you could collect women like that-it would be even more fun, have to chunk a few every now and again......when they rust up.

LTS

astute observer
    (12/9/02 12:29:55 am)
    Hey! Nice to meet ya' Swede! Personally I prefer traditional looking guns. The truth is.....the barrel is everything, and it has no idea what type of action it's attached to. There is no difference in accuracy...period! Some claim that inlines have faster ignition...but I defy anyone to show me one that's faster than an underhammer, which is traditional. As far as powder...I'll stick to black. I've tried Pyrodex.... I hate it! But hey, this is just my opinion1