The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: I pulled a H&R top brake 38 5 shoot out of the dirt today. I have no clue as to model, as I have not found a model # on it any where. All I have found is the man. with the following numbers, pet. 87may4 & aug 6 89, April 7 189? Ser # is D51992. It is as best I can tell missing some parts, and I would like to restore the thing if I can get the parts. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man. was short for manufacturer. As in made by. LOL Though if the man had been there, he would have been long gone I am sure. I am keeping the gun, at lest long enough to restore the thing, then who knows.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was just walking past and looked down. It wanted me to find it. I know for sure that at lest one person had walked pasted it before I found it. I think it just wanted a loving home to go to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry the tallest oak around here would about shin high. There was a rock by it, then if you walk more than 10 feet with out passing a rock, your not in this country.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Without knowing the part of the country that you're in (how dry the climate is and such), I'd say that your find hasn't been in the ground very long.
The bright orange rust is fairly fresh oxidization and there looks to be a pretty good amount of the blued finish still on the cylinder and barrel.
I my part of the country, anything buried in the dirt would be in a lot worse condition that that pretty quickly.

I really would consider contacting your local law enforcement and have them run the serial number. If it's clean, no problem. If it's tied to a crime of some sort fairly recently then it could wind up being trouble for ya if you keep it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
There is no way it could have been used for any thing. There parts missing. 3 springs are gone, 2 pins, the sear does not engage. To name the missing parts they are as follows.
Hand spring, Hand, sear spring, Trigger spring, Guard/sear pin, and the trigger pin. Not in any shape to do any shooting with for sure.
As for having it checked out, I do that with any gun, even if I am getting from a cop. Not to say I don't trust them, I just don't trust 99% of them.

You are right how ever, here in South east NM it is dry. With the rian we have had I would have to say it was out there about 6 months. If the thing would have to bad to think about restoring, I most likely would have left it there.
What I need more than any thing is where to get the parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it did come back clean, so all is good in my little world, now I just to get some parts. Well ok I have a lot of cleaning to do as well. I will post a pic when I get it done if any one would like to see the end result.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Have you talked to any gunsmiths in the area about parts? Someone might have parts sitting in a box that will fit your gun, or he might know someone else who does.
It would be nice to see some pics of the pistol after you get it cleaned up.
Good luck with it.

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
First thing is simply to clean everything. Rust takes away metal. Identification shouldn't be too much of a problem. There are also plenty of parts available for these old top breaks. Be advised though that you'll be doing the restoration more for fun than anything else because you will spend more to do it than the pistol is ultimately worth. I guarantee it will be fun to restore it though :).
Kind of cool to find it in the dirt!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.