The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Testing my reworked ( Originally was 2fa Artillery powder ) 3fg powder today. 50 yards with my Traditions Hawken Woodsman .50cal. 70gr 3fg, .020 patches and .490 round ball.
Happy? You can't wipe the smile off my face!
4fg Gearhart Owen in the pan. Instant ignition.
Its been a long while since I last shot the flinter. Mostly because my powder supply is always down. Shouldn't be an issue for a while!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Some modern substitutes will work in a flintlock, especially if you load a bit of traditional blackpowder before the main load, but I will always believe that good old 3 F powder is best in a flint gun.

That's a damn nice group. Glad you enjoyed your day.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
....nice rifle, nice group.....(I'd be happy to shoot that at 50 FEET with my muzzle loader !!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my friend has 2 more 25lb bags for me to process. He bought it some number of years ago at a storage auction. I process it and keep half of what we get out of it. A very dirty job to say the least.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,597 Posts
Very nice group. Glad you had a good day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some modern substitutes will work in a flintlock, especially if you load a bit of traditional blackpowder before the main load, but I will always believe that good old 3 F powder is best in a flint gun.

That's a damn nice group. Glad you enjoyed your day.
Kind defeats the purpose IMO. I've had good luck with the American pioneer and a duplex load but now that APP and the black mz powders are now out of business, its time to get a supply of the real stuff. The sub powder would work ok on the range for fun, but i wouldnt trust it during a hunt in my flintlock. I'll take home a little over 30lbs by the time i process the rest of the lot, so that should keep me happy for a little while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts