P 64.....Just Brought it Home

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Firpo, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Pawpaw40

Pawpaw40 Well-Known Member

I don't know how familiar you are with it's manual of arms. It does NOT have a firing pin block that will disengage when the trigger is pulled. On many DA/SA pistols (Such as the S&W 659), you can rack the slide, chambering a round. You then decock the hammer, and then disengage the safety. When you want to put the firearm into action, there is no need to take the safety off, it will act just like the modern SIGs that have no safety lever, just a decocker.

On the P-64, if you want to carry, you had better leave the safety on, if you chamber a round. I have read of at least one instance where someone was holstering one, the hammer hung up on either his clothing or the holster, and resulted in a negligent discharge and injury.

My P-64 has a very hard DA trigger pull, and a very light and crisp SA pull. I have read that a set of reduced power springs are available to ease the DA pull. There is a website that specializes in P-64's
    www.p64resource.com/

2. paulnola

paulnola New Member

Firpo,

I just bought one yesterday and got to fire it today. Because of the notoriously hard DA pull, I ordered a set of reduced strength springs from Wolff. After seeing several videos on YouTube, it looks like the 18 lb hammer spring will make the DA much more manageable. The SA is excellent but should get a little better as well.

Mine is vintage 1971 and looks and feels almost new. I had to search around the Atlanta area to find some ball ammo to go shoot at the range. It is very accurate, I think more so than new PPKs and Bersa
    Thunders that I have shot. I can't feel a difference between shooting the 9mm Makarov and .380.

I am glad I bought mine and look forward to putting many rounds down range with it in the future. I hope you enjoy yours as well. Also, please let us know how your hand loading goes for these.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

3. MidniteMarc

MidniteMarc New Member

It's honestly more like a Walther PPK than anything else.

4. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

18 pound hammer spring hmmmmmmm. I'll have to give that a whirl as the DA is rediculous on this pistol. All in all it seems like a decent gun. Easy to conceal and all. I was thinking of having my wife carry it but that's not going to happen until I ease things up on the trigger

gunnut1215 likes this.
  5. Firpo

Wow! How time flies. I was thinking I'd bought this pistol about 6-9 months ago. Looking at my last post it was Jan 6th of last year. Well in any event I thought I'd let y'all know that I ordered and just installed the 18# hammer spring. I'm trying to come up with a positive spin on this, hmmmmmmmm........ I'd say the DA trigger pull stinks less than it did with Tory spring anstalled. I don't have a way of measuring the trigger pull but I'd have to guess it must have dropped at least 5-10 pounds. Glad I did it and will Ave to take it to the range soon to make sure everything still goes boom.

crystalphoto and joe45c like this.
  6. roosterrod

roosterrod New Member

Please do not shoot any .380 on it. You should only fire 9mm Makarov. The .380 is 17mm and the 9mm Makarov is 18mm. Also, the 9mm Makarov is a little larger than the .380. You might fire the .380 in Polish P64, but is NOT advisable!!!! If you tried to shoot a 9mm Makarov in a .380, you will have a hand grenade!!!!!

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sounds like the voice of experience!

8. Firpo

Ummmmm, I'd never shoot 380 in a 9mm Mak. Doing stupid stuff like that is why we have all that legal junk stamped on the sides of our guns.

jim brady likes this.
  9. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I've seen .380 replacement barrel for the standard Makarovs. The 9X18 is a better, more powerful cartridge, so I don't see much point in converting. My son pulled one of his bonehead moves and sold a pristine East German Makarov (that I'd given to him with the stipulation that if he ever sold it I had first crack at it:mad:), but my wife still has her East German Mak and loves it for conceal carry.

A guy I used to work with was into Russian and Chicom weapons. He was the kind that fooled around with what ever gizmos hit the market. He bought one of the Russian Makarovs, and one of the .380 conversion barrels. Wasn't exactly the 'sharpest tool in the shed' mechanically speaking. He fed a 9X18 into the conversion. Locked it up really tight. I was a tad surprised he didn't kill himself doing it, but he did eventually get it unlocked.

Firpo likes this.
  10. Ibmikey99$

Ibmikey99$ Well-Known Member

I have a number of Makarov pistols including a Russian in .380 cal, I would never shoot any cartridge in any pistol not chambered for it. The two P 64 pistols I have are totally unpleasant to shoot where I love my Maks, CZ 82’s, P83, etc.all in 9x18 caliber. I cannot imagine buying a case of ammo and putting it through a P64, hurts my body thinking of it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    sittinback likes this.
  11. sittinback

sittinback Member

FIRPO, ...following up on this three year old post. Did you ever form a final opinion about the P64? Just curious because I bought three at a very low price thinking family members would enjoy shooting a gun they could actually hold (small hands). But after shooting it once (like RJ stated) I put it away and never let the family shoot one. Problem I had was with the 'bite'. The hammer would did into the thumb/finger area and was uncomfortable. I did not use shooting glove but still did not want the wife or daughters to have a negative experience shooting. Now, I also have several CZ-82s ...and love them! The girls do too!

12. Firpo

Hi sittinback,

To be honest I only shot the darn thing but the once. I did install lighter springs which helped DA trigger pull but its still pretty darn bad. It seems to be of decent enough construction but I don't think I’d buy one again. For the last three years its been in the trunk of my car (yes I take it out and clean it every three months or so) for that just in case moment which does serve a purpose. I certainly wouldn't want to keep one of my good guns back there being ignored. To sum it up its for sure shootable and dependable, just nothing I’d want to use With any frequency. I have plenty of others that bring a smile to my face.

sittinback likes this.