The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a pair of 9mm Lugers, unfortunately the owner had them re-blued and had his initials engraved in them. Any idea of value as is?
Anyone out there have the initials J R R ? I have such a deal for you!
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,381 Posts
I inherited a pair of 9mm Lugers, unfortunately the owner had them re-blued and had his initials engraved in them. Any idea of value as is?
Anyone out there have the initials J R R ? I have such a deal for you!
Thank you.
Please seperate these pistols into 2 different.threads. Give alot of pics sbowing ALL identifying marks to get the best estimate of value.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
JRR Tolkien author of of the Lord of the rings books. If they were his they would be worth a whole lot more then they are if not. They are now worth about half of what they were worth before he spent money to reblue them. Nice Holsters.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
In all seriousness the guns do have value. Many people want a Luger but can not afford the collector prices and guns like these fill those desires. The 4 inch gun should sell in the too to 800 dollar range and the longer barreled gun for more. If the holsters are original German military then they are worth 200 plus apiece. Sell the holsters separate from the guns. The guns have no true collector value but the holsters do.

·
No Power Options
13,100 Posts
Agree with the above, they have value. And someone went to great lengths to refinish them. Numbers and markings are still sharp so they did not need extreme polishing. Some still have sharp edges and makes me wonder their history.

·
Premium Member
3,853 Posts
the longer barreled one has the detachable stock also so whats that worth?

·
Registered
605 Posts
the longer barreled one has the detachable stock also so whats that worth?
I agree 100%. When I saw the pics I wanted to throw up. If the holsters are marked correctly then both should bring at least a grand on file BAY. I have been collecting for 40 years and have a large collection of both Lugers and WALTHER pistols. Sorry but your pistols are only shooters and should bring at least a grand together. Hope this helps you some?
Danny

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Is the short barrel a 9mm or 30 Luger?
I'm certainly no expert, but that would effect price too. Particularly on a shooter grade.
Don't get discouraged. Many will still shell out cash for a shooter in either caliber. Myself included.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
I agree 100%. When I saw the pics I wanted to throw up. If the holsters are marked correctly then both should bring at least a grand on file BAY. I have been collecting for 40 years and have a large collection of both Lugers and WALTHER pistols. Sorry but your pistols are only shooters and should bring at least a grand together. Hope this helps you some?
Danny
A grand together?:eek:
I haven't seen a Luger of any condition, or any variety for under a grand in over twenty years.
I think I need to go shopping with you guys. ;)

·
Registered
605 Posts
A grand together?:eek:
I haven't seen a Luger of any condition, or any variety for under a grand in over twenty years.
I think I need to go shopping with you guys. ;)
Really you to have to be a advanced Pistol collector to know the true value?

Reactions: Kvasir

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Really you to have to be a advanced Pistol collector to know the true value?
Well there is a big difference between "what would you pay for it" and "what can you buy one just like it for".
For $500 each, I would change my name to JRR.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was just wondering that since Luger’s were made by different counties and companies, can any one tell me what the marking (ERFURT) means that is on top of one of his guns?

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Erfurt is the city where the royal arsenal was that built this gun. it is referred to as an Erfurt Luger Don't be discouraged by the negatives in this thread. These are still decent guns and will sell between 800 to 1500 plus a fair amount for the holsters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts