The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a malfunction that now has become a recurring problem with my Para Ordnance GI Expert 1911. When I try to seat the magazine I have to REALLY whack it to get it to seat. Then, try as I might, I cannot push the mag release button. I have to take a plastic mallet and give the release button a moderate strength hit to release it. Chambering a round has become a problem now also. Sometimes I cannot even move the slide back. If I am able to chamber a round I usually cannot manually eject it and the unfired round will jam between the bolt face and the forward edge of the opening.

What is strange is that this problem just started happening for no “apparent” reason. I have not fired it for several months but it is my concealed carry so I occasionally change out magazines and have been doing so without problems. Another confusing point is that I don’t have this problem with every magazine. The ones that do are the three Para Ord 8 round magazines and three “Check Mate” 8 round magazines. but the Colt 7 round mag and the Chip McCormick 10 round mags work perfectly. If I load the Para mags with only 7 rounds they will seat normally.

This is not the first time it’s happened with this pistol. Last time I narrowed it down to one specific type of ammo and that was PMC. I measured the outside diameter of the PMC and it was ever so slightly larger than the Winchester White box and both had 230 grains bullets loaded so I figured that the larger dimensions of the PMC round, multiplied times 8 was just too large for the gun. This time, it’s happening with the Winchester ammo. I don’t have any other ammo to test because of the current shortages.

I am going to take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning and inspection and try it again but this is perplexing. Anyone have an idea as to what the problem might be?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have disassembled the pistol, cleaned and inspected it and could find nothing wrong. I then remembered I had replaced the factory grips with pachmayers so I loosened them up and it improved things a tiny bit. I then took the grips completely off but I still cannot seat those mags. Looks like I am headed for a gunsmith because I'm out of ideas.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
have you tried seating the mags with the slide off. Sometimes the lips of the mags come together and bind up on the slide.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you tried seating the mags with the slide off. Sometimes the lips of the mags come together and bind up on the slide.
Yes. They all seat normally with the slide off. The problem seems to be on the last 1/4 inch of travel into the mag well. What's confusing is that the mags that are giving me trouble are the ones that worked last time this happened. :confused:

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Is the mag well new or offset possibly? If it works with the slide off then Im betting one of the mag lips is binding the lower portion of the slide.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the mag well new or offset possibly? If it works with the slide off then Im betting one of the mag lips is binding the lower portion of the slide.
Bingo! I took it apart again this morning and found gouging on the slide on the ejection port side. (see picture below) I also loaded 4 magazines and used my caliper to measure the spread of the feed lips. The two magazines that still work measured at .526 for the Colt and .530 for the Chip McCormick. Two of the mags that are binding measured at, .535 for the CheckMate and a whopping .557 for the Para mag. Just to make sure the gouges in the slide were caused by the mag, I coated the top of the feed lip with magic marker and installed it into the gun. The gouges are now colored black so that's definitely the problem.

When the mags are empty they slide in and out of the gun just fine. I am still confused as to why this has suddenly started happening. They worked fine one day and the next, they don't.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id contact Para and see what they say!!
That's one of the options I have but last time I tried to call them I either couldn't get through or, if I did reach someone, they were of little to no help. Not looking forward to doing that again.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Its a mag problem and para wont do squat about it. they wont even make good on a bad fitted thumb safety on a brand new 1911. their cs stinks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same gun and had a mag issue similar to the one described. I switched the mag and prob solved. That being said para did have rather crappy service at one time, but since their move, things have been getting much better. I also had a rear sight issue with mine. You couldn't see it but you could feel the sight blade move ever so slightly left to right. Got on another forum I'm a member of and asked if anybody Han heard of the problem. First reply I received was from Travis Tomassie, paras competition shooter. He told me to get in touch with para so I did. They were super helpful. Sent the slide off, and had it repaired extremely quickly at no charge. I also had mention a FO front sight and the cut the price and installed it for free because I was having trouble. Guess what I'm trying to get at is I've had good experience with them so it might be worth your time to at least email or call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts