The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pardner handi rifle in .223 with a heavy bull barrel that i hunt with. never had any issues out of it. However I am now trying to push how far I can shoot with it. It will shoot dead on for a few shots, but once the barrel gets even slightly warm to the touch (3-5 shots) the accuracy seems to vanish. I mean from sub MOA to 4 MOA. Any idea what could be wrong?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would check the fit of the fore end to the barrel for un-even contact for 1; secondly, what ammo are you using , bullet weight and type. What range are you shooting and in what conditions?
Last, how are you cleaning the barrel, what cleaner or solvent do you use and what is bore condition?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would check the fit of the fore end to the barrel for un-even contact for 1; secondly, what ammo are you using , bullet weight and type. What range are you shooting and in what conditions?
Last, how are you cleaning the barrel, what cleaner or solvent do you use and what is bore condition?
I will have to check the fit. Im using 55gr sp on 23.5 gr of HVARGET. Currently 200 yards regularly in calm conditions. I typically just run a brush through, then dry mop, then mop with light gun oil and let that sit a few minutes, then mop it out.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Try cleaning the bore with a copper solvent, I like Butch's bore shine, to remove any jacket fouling. You may want to try heavier or different bullets, the 55 gr may not be stabilizing (depending on barrel twist rate); so a little research is needed here. Different bullets can and will change the way the gun groups.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I will try cleaning it with some solvent. Ill try some different weights and see, however Ive been shooting the 55s for a while.

·
Super Moderator
42,744 Posts
I am not sure what a Pardner Handi Rifle is, BUT after a little research, I found that the NEF and H&R handi rifles in .223 have a 1:12 twist rate. If yours has the same twist rate then lighter bullets would probably work better.

I know that my bolt .223 is a 1:14 twist and I shoot a 40 grain bullet in it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Did you place an O-ring around the forearm lug yet? ...doing so will help "free float" the barrel from the forearm.

Also, make sure you are holding/resting the gun/barrel behind the forearm lug.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,245 Posts
Barrel twist rate was my first thought. A quick and dirty way to find out is to make a mark on the side of your cleaning rod, put a good tight swab on it, and push it down the barrel, and let the rifling twist the rod. Measure how far it goes before the cleaning rod makes one complete circuit. My 1:9 would make one full revolution in 9 inches.

You probably already know that trick, but newbies might like to know. :rolleyes:

I tried a box of ammo with 55 grain heads, mostly to get the brass when I first got my .223 and the group was all over the place. I developed a load with Sierra Match King 69 grain heads that works great. I needed the heavier bullet.

Is this a new problem, something your gun has developed recently, or have you just not pushed it this far before?

I heard of one make of gun a while back (I forget which brand now) that had an issue with the bore being slightly off center in the barrel. As the bore warmed up if I recall rightly, the group spread out. The point of impact started moving in a line, either vertically or horizonally. The manufacturer was aware of the problem and promptly repaired the gun--replaced the barrel.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I have a 700 Remington that used to open up groups after the barrel heated up. Free floated the barrel to solve it. Don't know how you would do that on a Handi-rifle though.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have not tried the oring trick. But I will now! I am planning on trying the swab trick on the rifling this weekend, but I do believe it is a 1:12. I have shot 55 gr bullets for years now, but it was always just one or two shots, either the week before deer season or in the stand. I just started trying to shoot it more and be a better shot with it about a week ago. and i believe that Pardner is the old company name because it says NEF pardner handi rifle on the gun.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Relying on memory, no claims of accuracy there. I would suggest shooting a few different weight bullets for comparison on accuracy, with the greater range and more shots if the barrel is floated the different length and weight should give you and idea of what the barrel twist will stabilize. Bullets can over or under stabilize and play hell with accuracy at longer ranges. Faster twist will stabilize lighter bullets and slower twist works for longer/heavier ones; you will have to buy or "borrow" a few to play with.
I am not sure if you will need to try to float the barrel or glass bed it, a gunsmith who has more experience than I will need to chime in here.

·
TFF Chaplain
21,245 Posts
I tried a box of ammo with 55 grain heads, mostly to get the brass when I first got my .223 and the group was all over the place. I developed a load with Sierra Match King 69 grain heads that works great. I needed the heavier bullet.
I forgot to say that my barrel is a 1:9 twist and handles the 69 grain SMK's just fine.

A lot of the guys from the club have 1:12 twist barrels and they are getting great grouping with 55 grain bullets.

·
Registered
8,267 Posts
Thing that comes to my mind is barrel bedding and/or loose action screw tension. If it's been shooting accurately, and suddenly the accuracy has been lost, you may have a copper fouled bore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a pardner handi rifle in .223 with a heavy bull barrel that i hunt with. never had any issues out of it. However I am now trying to push how far I can shoot with it. It will shoot dead on for a few shots, but once the barrel gets even slightly warm to the touch (3-5 shots) the accuracy seems to vanish. I mean from sub MOA to 4 MOA. Any idea what could be wrong?
My guess is that to my understanding there’s aluminum in near that forearm
I would guess that would alter it pretty quickly .,
It hears so much faster ..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts