PARDONED DEATH ROW INMATES

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/12/03 5:44:21 pm)
    Reply PARDONED DEATH ROW INMATES
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Out-going Illinois Republican Governor George Ryan commuted ALL death-row prisoners.

Story, news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2646947.stm

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/12/03 6:06:32 pm)
    Reply I reckon...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    some of the bordering states ought to Lock-N-Load...Sounds like they had a really nice (@#$%#$$)Governor...!

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/12/03 6:18:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit Re: I reckon...
    I'm not sure I agree with him letting them ALL off the hook, but I think he did the right thing in letting the guys go who had confessed after being beaten and strangled by cops.

I subscribe to the theory that it's better to have a criminal on the streets than an innocent man in jail. We hear every day (especially lately) about police brutality and flagrant violations of our Constitutional rights. It's nice to know that at least somebody is concerned enough about it to make a stand.

I used to be a fervent supporter of the death penalty. But after seeing a lot of people being let go on new DNA evidence that proved them innocent, I am having second thoughts about the whole process. I guess I'm still in favor of capital punishment, but ONLY if it is proved beyond all doubt. Not reasonable doubt, but all doubt. It would be the ultimate tragedy to put someone to death for a crime they didn't commit.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/12/03 6:25:01 pm)
    Reply Re: I reckon...
    I don't know as I can blame him too much. Illinois has recently had 4 or 5 death-row inmates positively cleared by DNA evidence. These were men who had been adequately represented by counsel, convicted by a jury of their peers, been thru all of the appeals processes, but were, nonetheless, innocent men who would've been put to death by the state.

Furthermore, an independent commission appointed by the state to study the death penalty in Illinois, came to the unanimous conclusion that the way it was applied in that state was fatally flawed.

Governor Ryan has always been a strong advocate for the death penalty, but given almost overwhelming evidence that the sytem was broken, I give him credit for being politically and morally flexible enough to do something about the problem.

MTaylor
    (1/12/03 6:52:13 pm)
    Reply Re: I reckon...
    Damn ZZ. You make it sound as if the governor released everyone on death row! NOTHING could be further from the truth. He pardoned 4 and commuted all the others. Yes, commuted. But commuted to only LIFE WITHOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE. So, all neighboring states can be on the lookout for four (4) persons.

Are you trying to scare the daylights out of someone here or are you just.....

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/12/03 6:57:52 pm)
    Re: I reckon...
    Actually, 3 pardoned death row inmates are free, the other is still doing time for another crime he admitted.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

[email protected]

kjrupp
    (1/12/03 8:15:40 pm)
    Reply Re: PARDONED DEATH ROW INMATES
    Being from Illinois, I can say that the gov. has been the worst we've ever had. He has been a lame duck for most of his four years due to the license for bribes scandal. This is all a dog and pony show to try to divert attention from all the scandal. I'll tell you that the victims relatives are really pissed. And so are the honest prosecuters that Ryan is blaming for all of Illinois's problems. The problem was Ryan. Come monday, he's gone and in my oppinion he will be brought up on corruption charges and rightfully so.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/13/03 8:41:17 am)
    Hi kjrupp.....welcome to TFF.

Freeing innocent men who were headed for lethal injection doesn't meet my definition of a "dog and pony show".

Many of these so-called "honest prosecuters" were happy to use confessions that they knew (or should have known), were obtained illegally.

kjrupp
    (1/13/03 9:23:39 am)
    It's funny but you don't here these "innocent men " claiming that they didn't do the crime. Oh sure, some of them have, but for the most part, most of them are just riding on the coattails of the more prominent cases. Also, the ex-gov by law, did not have the athority to call a moratorium in the first place. The death penalty in IL. was the law and has to be changed the way any law would. Hey, I'm not for putting innocent men on the lethal inj. gurney. It's just that a blanket clemency isn't the way to go either. Ex-Gov. Ryan has a history of trying to cover his corruption with smoke and mirrors. The timing of this decision proves this once again.

(1/13/03 7:25:18 pm)
    Reply Commuted sentences?
    I might have done the same thing, given the track record in Illinois. Even then, let's see what the commutation means.

The people on death row were going to die in prison. The only way they were leaving prison was in a body bag.

Their death sentence has been commuted to life without parole. So, they still are going to die in prison. And the only way they are going to leave prison is in a body bag.

I don't think they'll be able to tie up the courts protesting that being executed is cruel and unusual punishment. But they still leave prison in a body bag.

It may even cut them off from the automatic appeal of death sentences. They can still appeal, but they State is no longer required to pay for it. And they still leave prison in a body bag.

Do I detect a trend?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/13/03 9:09:18 pm)
    Reply Re: Commuted sentences?
    I did not have sex with that woman!!!! (wags finger)

SOS and nothing more, the most vial thing since the last one.
    WHAT A POS of human waste!!!!!!!!!

LTS

(1/14/03 10:14:43 pm)
    Reply Your response... liktoshoot
    liketoshoot,

I didn't say I had a problem with those who had their sentence commuted leaving prison in a body bag. I don't have a problem with that.

I didn't say I had a problem with their ability to appeal their sentence being cut short. I don't have a problem with that either.

You, however, attributed to me a view I never expressed. That I have a problem with. You need to think before you post. Or are you incapable?

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/14/03 10:27:51 pm)
    Reply Re: Your response... liktoshoot

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/15/03 1:32:00 am)
    Re: Your response... liktoshoot
    Dems fight'n woyds LTS!

Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/15/03 7:53:38 am)
    Re: Your response... liktoshoot
    LTS must still be in custody!

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

[email protected]

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/03 8:09:08 pm)
    Reply Wonderin' now..
    My gal Oprah is running this story on her show now(Luv that Oprah with Dr. Phil right after)...anyway I have my doubts right now on the guilt of some of these people that were condemned to Death!...

Yabra Kadabra Doo
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 12:39:42 am)
    Reply Re: Wonderin' now..
    Quote:
    Illinois has recently had 4 or 5 death-row inmates positively cleared by DNA evidence.

Actually, it is 13 in just the past few years. Statistically, that means we can be certain that many dozens have been wrongly executed over the past few decades. I live in Illinois and the system is FUBAR. Ryan is a dumb-sh!t in most ways, but this was the right decision. Besides, they still get the death penalty... only they have to live in prison for awhile longer before dying there. What this does is allows time for the truly innocent to find other ways of proving their innocence. Something new, like DNA, will show up eventually, and more will be exonerated. We need to have a system that is more accurate in condemning the guilty while letting the innoncents go free.

teehee1
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 2:28:09 am)
    HEY, YO, LTS
    I have no idea what your response meant or if was aimed at anyone other than the now ex-governor... BUT I do know that guy with a number instead of a name has sure as doo-doo
    called you out in the alley..Where is your rebuttal? Is Tac allowed to stir the pot???????????????
    "Life is not:easy, fair or cheap... sometimes bad things happen to good people"

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/17/03 8:47:25 am)
    Reply Re: HEY, YO, LTS
    "......the ex-gov by law, did not have the athority to call a moratorium in the first place."

As far as I know, every governor, as chief executive and final appellate officer of his state, has the authority to issue a stay of execution, commutation of sentence, or pardon.....as he sees fit.

I know of no state that limits those powers.

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/18/03 11:35:57 am)
    Reply Ya reckon...
    ...Ol' liktascoot dun got scered off by number...I always was a knowin' dat he was kinda shy....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.