The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
I've always been told that parkerizing gives a better surface for oil to cling to. Hence, more oil on the surface, the less chance for rust. Parkerizing is not any way , fashion or form a rust preventive, it is a rust inhibitor, especially when coated with oil.

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
i will say that not one of my parked guns has ever exhibited any surface rust of any kind. I do have an occasional blued rifle that has picked up a line of orange powder on some of the spots the blye wears.. like at muzzle where she slips into carry bag.. or around mag releases.. safety.e tc.. stuff that gets high handling... and goes thru the blue to the white..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Parkerizing is a coversion process.....it actually changes a very tiny amount of the surface of the metal. If you looked at Parkerizing under a microscope, it would look similar to a sponge. Parkerizing by itself has no added durabilty but it does provide a surface for the oil to adhere to, much better than just bare metal. It soaks up the oil and keeps it in the pores. The oil is what gives it it's durabilty and rust resistance. This is also why a firearms refinisher will not apply any type of coating to "old" Parkerizing, even if it's brand spanking new from the manufacturer. It's just about impossible to remove all of the oil from the pores.

There are finishes that will absolutely prevent rust from forming, except for:
1...The finish is not damaged or worn thru to the underlying metal.
2...Those parts of a firearm that can not be finished. (The bore, springs, little pins, etc)
3...The finish is not exposed to the corrosion causing material for a length of time exceeding what the finish is rated for. For example: The resin that we use in our Tuff-Gun finish is Gunkote 2400 Series. It's rated to withstand an oxygenated 15% salt water spray at 800 degrees (F) for 1000 hours.

Not only is Parkerizing a good surface to hold oil, it also holds just about anything else applied to it. We use it under the resin as a base coat. The resin goes into the pores and gives it better adhesion. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

·
Garandaholic
9,890 Posts
No it does not prevent rust in any way at all. As others have stated, it provides a means to prevent rust. The porous surface holds oil and creates a barrier. If you were to chemically strip all the oil out of your parkerization, then wet it, it would hold water and cause rust. People envision parkerizating steel as being like anodizing aluminum, that it makes a rust-proof coating. It does not.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I used to do quite a bit of parkerizing, and what was stated throughout this thread is that the parkerizing holds oil to prevent rusting. I would let my parkerized parts sit in spindle oil for hours and hours. I considered this step in the process to be very important.
Here'a tip I used with great results; When the parts are lifted out of the parkerizing solution, and prior to soaking them in the oil bath, spray them down with rubbing alcohol. The reason to do this is that the alcohol is soluble in both oil and water, and the oil won't get contaminated by the parkerizing solution.
Old Gun Guy

·
Garandaholic
9,890 Posts
Just thought of this analogy. Parkerized steel is akin to a seasoned cast iron pan. It's the combination of the surface and the oil applied to it that makes the protective coating much stronger than either alone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.