The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the past i have mentioned i got a 99 savage in 25-35. the stock was a bubba repaired mess. i fooled around and got a unfinished stock blank. then had to fit [read remove excess wood] the butt and fore end. i now love accuglass.
so now i need the screw to attach the barrel to the fore end. what ever the metal thinga ma duggar is [technical term] that the screw goes thru i have not found because i don't know the correct name for.
called Brownells and talked to a rep. Brownells does not carry parts for old stuff. just AR stuff and the like. who knew?
ya i know on another thread i said i would not have the patience to fit a stock. i lied. almost. i did fit the wood close, but without the accuglass it looked like a bubba job too.
now i am off to find parts to finish this gun and shoot her again.

rick

·
Premium Member
19,765 Posts
Rick are there any utube videos out on take down and reassembly of the 99. Maybe you can get a idea of what screw you need and what the thingy is it screws into.

·
Registered
30 Posts
THIS outfit might be able to help you. I've been in there. They're about a half mile from where I live. All they do is fasteners. They might have a way for you to get measurements and thread pitch and all of that. I can't believe they wouldn't have something that would work if they can discover what you need.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Are you looking for the "barrel stud" that is dovetail mounted to the bottom of the barrel that the forend screw attaches to?
Or are you looking for a screw escutcheon that goes into the forend to help prevent the screw from pulling too far into the wood?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
John beat me to it by seconds. Numrich and Jack first have the forearm screw, but I remember two different lengths. I checked everywhere I could think of for the escutcheon, find one for everything else, but not a 99.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
If the old stock still has the escutcheon take it out and use it on the new stock.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you looking for the "barrel stud" that is dovetail mounted to the bottom of the barrel that the forend screw attaches to?
Or are you looking for a screw escutcheon that goes into the forend to help prevent the screw from pulling too far into the wood?
ESCUTCHEON!!! thats it. thank you.

rick

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
If the old fore end is good enough that you don't want to damage it, can you refinish and use it until you can find an escutcheon?

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the old fore end is good enough that you don't want to damage it, can you refinish and use it until you can find an escutcheon?
i can. but you know how it feels to do all the work to get this far,[and it is the first i ever have done] and not finish. so....i want to complete the job. all the wood is ready for final finish, and i would like to do both pieces at the same time just so i do not make a mess of things. half finished projects seem to stay half finished.

rick

·
GUNZILLA
7,580 Posts
I don't know if you are familiar with Savage Shooters forum but they do have a sub forum for vintage firearm parts, you could check it out and see if they can point you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tomorrow. thanks

rick
screw is .160 +/- o.d. escutcheon is in a .300 hole. i do not know if the threads on the screw are for savage only. the dove tail fitting is staked in very well and did not move when i tried to remove it. so i am stuck with using it. most any escutcheon and screw will work IF the screw threads are the same.
i have found escutcheons for other make rifles, just not savage. perplexing!
any help is greatly appreciated.
picture to follow ........i hope

rick

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
screw is .160 +/- o.d. escutcheon is in a .300 hole. i do not know if the threads on the screw are for savage only. the dove tail fitting is staked in very well and did not move when i tried to remove it. so i am stuck with using it. most any escutcheon and screw will work IF the screw threads are the same.
i have found escutcheons for other make rifles, just not savage. perplexing!
any help is greatly appreciated.
picture to follow ........i hope

rick
nope will not post.

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
Most gun screws use common sizing and thread pitch. A .160 diameter hole makes me think it's an 8 x 32. Does the head of the screw go into a recess on the escutcheon or does it just sit on top of it? Also have you tried to remove it from the old stock, it should just be a press fit unless Bubba glued it in.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most gun screws use common sizing and thread pitch. A .160 diameter hole makes me think it's an 8 x 32. Does the head of the screw go into a recess on the escutcheon or does it just sit on top of it? Also have you tried to remove it from the old stock, it should just be a press fit unless Bubba glued it in.
the screw head is in a recess. i have not tried to remove the escutcheon. may work, bubba did not mess with the forend.
a thought....could i use a pillar to do the same thing? saw one on the net when searching. looks like i could cut it to any length i want.

rick

·
Registered
11,026 Posts
You might try pushing it out from the back side with a smal punch, push against the bottom of it and work all the way around. You might dent the wood a little on the inside of the hole trying to hook the escutcheon, but it's inside the barrel channel and won't show if you ever do try to re use that fore end.

Reactions: mudman35962

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'd try removing the escutcheon from the old one like Grizzly suggested.
Then I'd hit up the local hardware store and start looking at the various machine screws. If you're in an area that would frown upon bringing an incomplete rifle in to compare the threads, bring the escutcheon to see what passes through it and buy both thread pitch sizes along with the next size down (so if a #8-32 fits also get a #8-36 along with a #6-32 and #6-40). Most times I'll look for pan head or round head straight slot screws. And buy screws that are longer than needed so you can trim to length.

When you find a machine screw with the right threads there's a good chance the head won't fit in the recess of the escutcheon. Chuck the screw in a drill and file the head down to size. Polish the head with emery paper and hit it with cold blue or flame blue it with a propane torch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts