The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
John, I'd bet dollars to donuts it's 8x32 with a chance it might be 8x36 given the hole size Rick posted. I have used a drill press and a file as a makeshift lathe for re shaping and polishing screw heads. Smaller chance of getting my knuckles smacked by the chuck on a lathe when dressing the head of a small screw with a file or sandpaper.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I'd try removing the escutcheon from the old one like Grizzly suggested.
Then I'd hit up the local hardware store and start looking at the various machine screws. If you're in an area that would frown upon bringing an incomplete rifle in to compare the threads, bring the escutcheon to see what passes through it and buy both thread pitch sizes along with the next size down (so if a #8-32 fits also get a #8-36 along with a #6-32 and #6-40). Most times I'll look for pan head or round head straight slot screws. And buy screws that are longer than needed so you can trim to length.

When you find a machine screw with the right threads there's a good chance the head won't fit in the recess of the escutcheon. Chuck the screw in a drill and file the head down to size. Polish the head with emery paper and hit it with cold blue or flame blue it with a propane torch.
This ^^^ and ACE Hardware has started to carry gunsmith screws. I'll add that when I chuck a screw in my drill press to shape and polish, I slip a piece of plastic/rubber tubing over the threads so the chuck doesn't damage them.
Dug through the spare parts boxes and only found some for sling swivels, and they weren't even close.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Trap, I never use the key to tighten the chuck on a screw, I just turn it by hand. I haven't had to chase the threads on one yet, knock on wood.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I started doing that after I had one with flattened threads from hand tightening. Turk shotgun screw, that was just slightly harder than aluminum foil! Had another fly out of the chuck (trying to avoid a repeat), and of course, it had to be one of those euro oddball metric gunsmith threads. Took me two days to find it, and there was nothing left to salvage. Got lucky in the junk box and found one that worked.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Grizzley1 you are correct. old one came out. it did not want to. nothing but a funny looking washer, kind of. now a trip to town to find a new longer screw. the new forend is bigger so the screw must be longer. "nothing is ever easy"
trap55 i do have a ace hardware that has a LOT of nuts, bolts, and screws in those little drawer boxes. they should have what i need or something i can make work. i am so ready to finish this and move on to shooting again.

rick

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Rick, do you have the original screw to take with you to Ace Hardware? It would make it a lot easier to find what you need or have the sales clerk find it for you. Trap I guess so far I've gotten lucky, I haven't buggered one up or had one fly of to who knows where.

Reactions: mudman35962

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Grizz, Wasting two days on a screw made the tubing cheap insurance after that. That was the 3rd or 4th Turk shotgun I worked on, and the last! Huglu, or the Huglu made CZ shotguns are the exception, they don't farm out parts manufacture, they use steel, and they actually know what quality control is.
Rick, if your ACE has them, someone there will know what a gunsmith screw is. But like Grizz said, you'll be ahead of the guessing game if you have the old one to compare. Found another parts box with the same thing, old sling swivel escutcheons. If you have the screw, and a 10/22 Ruger, check the one on the Ruger, they're easy to find.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
i have the original screw. need 1/2" longer. new wood is always fat. i left it that way, i like a fat forend.
just remembered "fat bottomed girls" by Queen. one of my favorites, listen to it every now and then. i think now is a good time. good night all.

rick

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
"ace is the place" got it . 8 X 40 a little long, a little grinding, and we have a done deal. hope to put some finish on it tomorrow so the grain will stand out. i may have to get a refresher lesson from Tucker1 on posting pictures. i know how this place is about that. it was a good looking piece of wood before i had a go at it. can you make a sows ear out of a silk purse? if anyone can it is me.

rick

21 - 30 of 30 Posts