The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the tightness of the weave have any affect on the range / accuracy of a black powder gun?

This comes from watching "Last of the Mohicans" and the supposed use of silk at Fort William Henry by Hawkeye which he just seems to cut off a bit and doesn't look like it had been oiled.

Just curious. Some of my ancestors were taken by the raids by the Shawnee back in the mid 1700's (released with the Treaty of Pontiac) and have thinking about buying a flintlock just for the 7734 of it.

·
Premium Member
12,436 Posts
Yes, it does, as does thickness. The thread count of the weave determines the strength of the cloth, to an extent. The higher the count the more....dense, strong, the material. It must be strong and thick enough to withstand the firing of the charge. If it shreds or burns through, accuracy will suffer. Irish linen has long been considered the best with cotton pillow ticking right behind it. 45+ years of shooting muzzleloaders and I've never heard of anyone using silk in a rifle or a smoothbore. Silk powder bags in cannon, yes. As patch or wad material, no. It's Hollyweird. I wouldn't put any credence in anything they suggest when it comes to firearms of any variety.

Petroleum based oil and black powder don't mix. Combine the two and you will live to regret it. During the time of the F & I war an animal based lubricant would have been used. They work as good today as they did 260 years ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts