The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone recognize these markings? This is on an over and under percussion cap pistol which I recently acquired. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,286 Posts
The gun is German . The second picture is showing the proof load. It appears to say three grams of some type of powder - most of that line is illegible. The line underneath that looks to say a seven gram lead bullet.

With around 28 grams to the ounce, that makes a powder charge of a ninth of an ounce, which is about 50 grains. A seven gram bullet is a quarter of an ounce and that would be 110 grains.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Germany didn't have proof laws until 1893, so it isn't older than that.
@sharps4590 knows a lot more about German proof marks than I do, so perhaps he can narrow the date down for you.

Reactions: Ben Stiles

·
Registered
17,286 Posts
I gave Sharps a link a couple years ago to a page that had a good explanation about that proof charge, and a date from when they change from two lines like that one is to one line.

Unfortunately that link did not make it from my old phone to this new phone so I don't have it anymore. Hopefully Sharps does.

·
Premium Member
13,487 Posts
It's post 1893/pre-1913 which is as close as I can get.

Alpo, I remember that but I didn't bookmark the link on either my old desk top or this lap top. It's buried somewhere in the posts and correspondence of TFF.

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Alpo, I remember that but I didn't bookmark the link on either my old desk top or this lap top. It's buried somewhere in the posts and correspondence of TFF.
Thats excellent information! Thank you. This gun was completely covered in rust when I got it and I used 0000 steal wool to get it to be even close to clean. I was so glad to finally see any types of markings and even more glad to have been able to have some idea of the origin and era that it came from!

·
Premium Member
13,487 Posts
It looks as if it's seen a few decades covered in rust!

·
Registered
17,286 Posts

https://www.germanguns.com/gun-marks/

Had to dig back through two phones to find it, but successful.

As you said, 1912 or earlier, because in 1913 they quit listing the powder.

·
Premium Member
13,487 Posts
Good grief...how on earth did you find that in less than 3 days?

In 1912/13 Germany passed a new proof law but not much of it was put into effect until after WWI. I'll TRY to remember when they stopped stamping the powder charge. Makes sense that would go quickly as it's one less step in manufacture. Saved time and money.

Reactions: Ben Stiles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank y'all! I am impressed with the enormous amount of information that you were able to provide me in such a short time (both on this post and the Middle Eastern rifle post). I knew that both weapons were old, but it was beyond my abilities to come up with those dates or even places of origin. I've found a lot of information on the weapons that were recently passed on to me after my parents house tragically burned to the ground. I spent many days cleaning more guns than I care to share on a public forum. I have one more that I will post this evening (or later today, if I can find the photos on my phone). Thank you again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are either of you familiar with an E.D. Harris as a manufacture of black powder weapons?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts