PGO guns that fire shotgun shells vs SBS / AOW

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by soundguy, Mar 13, 2017.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Pistol grip only shotguns that have an overall length of 26" or more have never been NFA items.

rawright54 likes this.

3. soundguy

I've seen dbl ble guns, pg, still get forced down that path from overzealous ATF. Mind you I was messing with sbs/aow stuff 25+ us ago, and the pgo/26" stuff seemed to not exist as an option. Seems to be a realitively new exploit of walking around ATF rules

4. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I cut down a Stevens 520 20 ga. and made a pistol grip for it in the 1970s. It was about 26.5" long and I carried it as a car gun.
    It wasn't illegal then, and they aren't illegal now.
    If a gun that fires shotgun ammunition was manufactured with a pistol grip only, and has never had a stock on it, the only requirement is that it must be 26" minimum overall length. Barrel length doesn't matter.

5. soundguy

My point, that you are missing, in spades, is that while these rules have existed a long time, widespread exploitation of them is relatively new.

Add to that law enforcement agencies that are not well versed on what is legal or not, and in the past, there has been much confusion. Especially in the AOW category.