Picked up a....

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Silver72
    (11/6/02 5:55:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Picked up a....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1918 Colt, not Spanish Pot Metal, but looked purty good.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/7/02 1:36:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Picked up a....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Very nice there Silver, looks to be in great shape!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/7/02 6:40:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Picked up a....
    How do you guys take such nice photos? They always look so artsy ----
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/7/02 8:32:59 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Colt
    Nice looking 45 Silver72.A local pawn shop has one without any markings on the slide that I would love to have because someone has put a set of Mother Of Pearl grips on it from the Colt Custom shop with the Colt Emblem in them,which these are expensive acording to Colts website.The price of the 45 is 500.00 and the owner said it was a original Colt.It has the grip safety and the bluing on the slide looks newer than the rest of the pistol.What does everyone think about this find?The grips are beautiful. Benny

Silver72
    (11/7/02 10:24:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Colt
    mckheean, the serial # would tell the year of mfg., and whether or not the frame was military. If the barrel is clean and the gun fairly tight, the price seems reasonable for a shooter.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/7/02 11:00:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 45
    I will check on the serial no today.I called Colt and the Mother Of Pearl grips with the Colt Medalion are $268.00. Thanks Benny

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/7/02 4:19:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 45
    Go for it Benny!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/7/02 4:47:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del 1911A1
    Just purchased the Colt 45 today.I was told it had a 1940 slide on it.The serial number is 040532 with inspector mark FJA.Does anyone know of a site that can date the frame.It is a 1911A1 with the Colt Emblem in the Mother Of Pearl grips,the most beautiful I have ever seen. Thanks Benny

Silver72
    (11/7/02 5:21:33 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 1911A1
    FJA are the initials of the Inspector giving final approval for acceptence. Frank J. Atwwod was the Inspector for Renington Rand 1911A1 .45s. So the frame was made by Remington Rand. The serial number you gave is incomplete. Check it again and I can tell you what year made.

mauserman454
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/8/02 8:25:04 am)
    Silver72, that Colt looks real nice.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/8/02 9:32:04 am)
    Mckheean....."FJA", Lt. Col. F.J. Atwood, was inspector for Ithaca, Union Switch & Signal, and Remington Rand.

Best check that serial # again. The one you gave us doesn't compute....it shouldn't start with a zero.

If the actual # is 1040532, the frame is from a Remington Rand made in 1943.

If it's 2040532, it's a Remington Rand made in '44.

Silver72.....looks like the twin brother to mine (298xxx). Over the years I've managed to pick up a WWI web belt, 1918 dated holster, a couple of 1918 date magazine pouches, and several half blue and lanyard loop magazines. Now all I need is a nice WWI canteen and "tin-pot" helmet.

Edited by: Xracer at: 11/8/02 9:44:57 am

Silver72
    (11/8/02 11:34:01 am)
    Xracer, yours is earlier than my 364,848. I have a collection of W.W.I and II mags, they are becoming scarce, and a few holsters. The last two holsters I got was one with a Remington Rand out of an estate and the other was at a garage sale with the nicest Remington Rand I have seen.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/8/02 2:48:22 pm)
    Xracer,I got the magnifying glass out today and all that is there is 040532.It is a real clean cut number and I don't think the first number is worn off.I wish it had the markings on the slide like Silver72.Is it possible to find a slide with the markings?Forgive me for not knowing anything about 45's I basically collect Colt Pythons and Diamond Back's. Nice looking 1911 Silver72,maybe I can find a collector grade one day instead of buying one for the grips. Thanks for all the help. Benny in NC

Silver72
    (11/8/02 4:59:12 pm)
    mckheean, you haven't mentioned the finish on your piece. Is it blue/black, or parkerized. I have a spare slide with the Colt roll marks that is parkerized, more brownish than dark gray.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/8/02 5:40:25 pm)
    Benny......this is a real mystery. I've seen a lot of M1911s & A1s and never seen or heard of any with a zero starting the serial #. Commercial models started the serial # with a "C" which might be mistaken for an "O", but they wouldn't have a military inspector's mark.

What's written on the frame? All of the writing on the frame, and it's location.

Is the frame blued or parkerized?

Anybody else have any ideas?

I LOVE mystery guns!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (11/8/02 5:56:39 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 1911A1
    Not sure on this one X, but I've got an Ithaca with a fairly low number that has had my curiosity peaked since I got it!
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

Silver72
    (11/8/02 8:24:33 pm)
    All of the military contract pistols had "NO" before the actual number. Maybe the "N" isn't there any more. Arsenal rebuilds were put together with a mixture of new replacement parts and the guns were stamped with the initials of the given Arsenal. Many Army Depots also refitted new parts. These weapons were not marked with Depot I.D. There were a large number of 1911 frames left over from the first war and used on the A1 guns at the start of the second war. If the 0 is what's left of the "NO" then it is a 1913 production. I have a 4 digit REM-UMC W.W.I piece and it does not begin with a number 0.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/10/02 10:24:32 am)
    The pistol is blue in finish.The guy at the pawn shop said it is a 1918 frame with a 1940 slide.I will get it out tomorrow and check for any more markings.It does start with a 0.The markings are real crisp.I would lone to find a blue slide with the Colt Markings to make it look a little better.It shoots great,but I still love the grips. Benny

Silver72
    (11/10/02 1:26:53 pm)
    mckheean, here is a pic of the right side so you can see how the serial # appears. Also note the slide markings, the size of the letters. This will help in searching the gun show tables and auctions for one, if you determine it is in fact what you believe.

Silver72
    (11/10/02 1:34:55 pm)
    Pic of the left side marks. Note the Eagle Head of Springfield Armory above the mag release.

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/11/02 8:16:16 am)
    Silver72 that sure is a nice 1911 I looked at mine today and the only thing I found that I have not posted is that there is a small emblem on the side of the serial number at the back side of the grip at top that looks like a circle with a cannon barrel going through it.It is so small it is hard to tell what is is.Will the parts on a 1911 and a 1911A1 interchange?Thanks for the pictures.Thanks Benny
    Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/11/02 9:57:51 am)
    Yep, Benny. All of the parts on both the civilian and military M1911s and A1s will interchange.

If your '11 is ex-military, the chances of it having the same parts as when it left the factory are pretty slim.

Parts were often replaced in the field, guns were often rebuilt, and if the piece was used on a pistol range, they were often disassembled for cleaning, all the parts were thrown in a tank of cleaner, and they were put back together "any which way you can".

One of the issue .45s we had on a ship I was on had a Springfield Armory 1911 frame, Ithaca A1 slide, and was built up as an A1.

Silver72
    (11/11/02 3:21:29 pm)
    Xracer is right on the info above. Here is the mark you refer to. This is the W.W.II version. The 1911 version was much smaller and all of them were poorly struck.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/11/02 4:00:28 pm)
    Now we're getting somewhere.....the crossed cannons and ball were only used from mid-42 on, and the FJA ties it to Remington Rand or Ithaca. Now if we could only get that silly serial # straightened out.

What are the markings on the slide?

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/12/02 8:06:32 am)
    That it the emblem on the 1911A1 and it is poorly struck.There is no markings on the slide at all and the bluing looks a lot better that the frame.I have had 3 people to look at the serial number and they all agree with me 040532 which is heavely stamped.Do you think I need to collect Spanish Pot Metal? I have searched the net and agree with everything that has been posted here but the serial number has got me confused.Still love the grips.Benny in rainey NC.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (11/12/02 8:34:53 am)
    Benny....here are a couple of sites that might help you identify it:

usgi1911.tripod.com/

www.sightm1911.com/

mckheean
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/12/02 1:11:39 pm)
    Thanks Xracer those are very detailed sites on the 1911 and 1911A1 still the serial number does not match anything there,will keep looking. Benny in NC