The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Just started collecting
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, so if I do something wrong please redirect me. So today my son and I where at a local gun shop. We saw two guns and one more I'm going back for. My question is, did we make a good buy on both, and is it going to be hard to find brass to reload. I try not to buy ammo I like making my own. So we saw what I believe to be a carbine Rifle. A Hembrug 1918 all numbers matching no numbers stamped over. The owner said it was a 6.5x53.5 or something like that. The gun looks great to me. I paid $475. The second gun was a Steven's shotgun model 124 bolt action shotgun. The stock and forearm grip are like a Grey plastic. We paid $175. In today's world to get 2 old decent shape guns for $650 is a bargain to me. Did I over pay? Probably. But it's cool to get history. What I would like is anyone who knows about these two to enlighten me. Yes I did my Google searches but I want your knowledge. People always know more and won't say unless you ask them. So I ordered a 6.5mmx54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer die set. Hope I was right on that. Anyway any help would be appreciated by the people way more knowledge than me. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Welcome to TFF ! I am no expert but on your Hamburg I don't think you did bad but I really like the Mannlicher style rifles any way !! Did you get a enbloc clip with it ?

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Saw them after looking closer . I was concentrating to hard on the rifle !! Your clips look fine . It's a cool system , when last round is chambered the clip falls out bottom . But I am you done know that !

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Finding reloading supplies of any kind right know is a chore . 1st step would be Grafs , Bufflo Arms ect . or check into making your own from other cartridge brass since it's bit of a odd caliber . Have you been reloading long or will this be your 1st go round with it ?

·
Registered
Just started collecting
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Let's just say if I have to buy 303 put a primer in it and a little powder some cream of wheat and seal it with crisco then no I haven't reloaded before. Lol. Yeah I reload. I would rather buy the brass done already but who knows. Next will be to find load data. Then if need like I said fire form some cases.

·
Premium Member
13,752 Posts
Not quite the same as the 6.5 X 54 Mannlicher/Schoenauer. The X54 was first chambered in the Greek Mannlicher and about the same time in the 1903 Mannlicher/Schoenauer sporting rifle made by Steyr. I THINK your Dutch Mannlicher was also made by Steyr. I believe TRAP CAN confirm or deny that.

The Dutch is a rimmed cartridge whereas the M/S is rimless. They're quite close dimensionally and ballistically. Now I'm curious....the same dies MIGHT be able to be used with a different shell holder. Case length and head/base diameter are identical....I gotta make a closer comparison now.....lol!

Value, You did fine on the Dutch Mannlicher. Can't tell you a thing about the Stevens.

Edit: I checked my Donnely's and you COULD use the same dies for the 6.5 X 53 Dutch as the 6.5 X 54 M/S carctridge, in a pinch. Using the M/S dies you will overwork the brass. The body angles are quite different and the shoulder lengths are a little different. The Dutch cartridge can easily be made from the 303 Brit. Full length resize, trim to length, anneal and fireform. Donnely's says to turn the rim to .526 but the 303 Brit. dimensions say it's already .525. Shouldn't need turned. One MIGHT have to thin the rim and I bet the necks will need thinned.....but, maybe not. At least it's a source if you can't find any Dutch Mannlicher cases. I form and turn a lot of cases for my old rifles and this would be a pretty straight forward project.

·
Registered
Just started collecting
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys so much for the replies so far. Now I know what I have. I was just pretty excited to see a numbers matching firearm with the serial number not crossed out. Now if only I could figure out how to get the bolt out. Lol

·
Premium Member
13,752 Posts
It's a Mannlicher, just about identical to a Mauser. That button on the left, rear of the receiver, push in the rear part, where the sort of button looking thing is. Hold it in and the bolt should slide right out. If not, something is amiss.

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
Just started collecting
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I found a die set on the bay. Holy smokes expensive but there was only one and now it's mine. I told rcbs to cancel my order for the 6.5x54 die set.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I saw some brass on Graf's site for $50 a bag . I was looking on reloading and you can use different dies to reload with but since you already got dies coming your good ! I read on making brass from 303 we must of looked at same place !!! Sometimes the chase to get these old rifles up and running can be almost as much fun as shooting them . Almost .

·
Registered
Just started collecting
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just ordered them from grafs. Shouldn't be an issue since I will have the dies. I look forward to getting her up and running

·
Premium Member
13,752 Posts
I saw that Griz, which is what made me think Steyr was the maker. I don't know who else in Austria at that time had the facilities to fill a large military contract.

Often times getting all the goodies together to get an old rifle shooting is pricey. Kinda like a horse, the cheapest thing about it is buying it.

Did the bolt come out? It should have.

Reactions: soonerfan66

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
In one of the photos I can see a Steyr cartouche branded on the stock.
Steyr produced them until 1902, then the Hemburg factory in the Netherlands.
Out of stock pricey ammo!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts