The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased an 1851 Colt Navy. I have a Taylor & Co cartridge conversion cylinder to shoot Cowboy Action ammo. I know you aren't supposed to dry fire these guns, but I can't get to a range very often. What I would like to do is use the original cap & ball cylinder for dry firing exercises. My question is, will anything other than the stock nipples be damaged if I do this? Will I hurt the action, internal components, the hammer, or anything except the cylinder that I do not plan to shoot with?

·
Premium Member
13,166 Posts
I have just purchased an 1851 Colt Navy. I have a Taylor & Co cartridge conversion cylinder to shoot Cowboy Action ammo. I know you aren't supposed to dry fire these guns, but I can't get to a range very often. What I would like to do is use the original cap & ball cylinder for dry firing exercises. My question is, will anything other than the stock nipples be damaged if I do this? Will I hurt the action, internal components, the hammer, or anything except the cylinder that I do not plan to shoot with?
Use .38 Special snap caps in the conversion cylinder. They're about twenty bucks or so for a pack of six on Amazon. The .38 Spl. case is marginally longer than the .38 Long Colt used in the conversion cylinders so they may require marginal trimming, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
What I would like to do is use the original cap & ball cylinder for dry firing exercises. My question is, will anything other than the stock nipples be damaged if I do this?
The hammer will be. Maybe not enough to keep it from working but it will develop a kind of inverted donut where it strikes the nipple. You would be better off selling the c&b cylinder and using snap caps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The hammer will be. Maybe not enough to keep it from working but it will develop a kind of inverted donut where it strikes the nipple. You would be better off selling the c&b cylinder and using snap caps.
I'm not a fan of dry firing any firearm. I ALWAYS use SNAP CAPS

·
Registered
969 Posts
In this case I would definitely fit snap caps to your cartridge cylinder to avoid damage. Often a weapon can be dry fired without damage, my S&W revolvers have been dry fired a jillion times as have my 1911 Colts. When I get Star pistols out a snap cap is a necessity or a broken firing pin will result.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts