The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that deer season is over, it is time to reduce the pig population on our lease. I know the pigs have been eating the corn at the feeders, but I am wondering what to bait them with that has enough smell to draw them.
I am thinking of cat food or dry dog food to bait areas, maybe some cane syrup or molasses.

What has anyone else used? Any comments on "pig likker " type products as seen at sporting stores?

We have lots of tracks on the main trail and want to take the pigs out where they will be easier to remove.... Yes, I am lazy, but I want to bring them out where we can get clean shots and hopefully cleaner kills. I do not want to track a wounded pig into the brush at night.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
I have never used bait, but JLA has a recipe that sounds like it would really work. Maybe he will post it again.

·
Super Moderator
28,037 Posts
1 bag of feed corn
2-2 liter bottles of generic dr pepper
2-5 gal buckets w/lids

Divide corn into the buckets. Add one bottle soda to each. Cover and let it go sour.

This is the recipe Josh gave me. It works well.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Add strawberry flavored jello powder (for making Jello) to your corn feeder after you fill it with corn. When hunting hogs I set it to go off about dark and again at 11pm. I'll hunt from dark to 1am from the blind. Then if none come around, I can go back to the house at about 1am and at least get a little sleep.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
Sour corn works every time...

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
yep.. i've soured corn with ice cream before in buckets and put it out... works fine.

·
Registered
18,034 Posts
nusiance animals here that destroy natural wildlife habitat and farmland. we can hunt them on off season on private lands

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
No you don't they destroy so much and breed so fast is it crazy.
It really is crazy the amount of damage they can do. A friend of mine had a farm that grew watermelons and he called me because they were destroying his crop....I didnt understand the magnitude of it until I got there and saw a 10 acre field of melons in pieces....they can root up huge amounts of land over night....

·
Super Moderator
28,037 Posts
They destroy everything, and fast. And just think, a sow is good for 2 litters a year.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A big +1 for the damages pigs can do, they have come thru our food plots and made the entire area look as if it were just disced up. I have seen them shred tree stumps to get termites and dig holes you can trip in.

Also, they do taste good and they are "outlaw" quadropeds in Louisiana, we can take them anytime.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Would bighead carp carcasses make a good bait choice? Our river is loaded with them and they're also a nuisance. A small herd of pigs has recently been spotted a few miles from my house. How about on coyotes?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts