The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or pinole do any of u cook with them? Can u take the nuts off pine tree and use them?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
We dont use them, but if you have a pinyon pine, collect away. Nothing wrong with that. get some pine comes in a bag and beat them til the nuts fall out. Dont remember when to harvest though.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
They're great in pesto, on salads or to eat by themselves.

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
Beth, I'm guessing at your question.

"Pine nuts" are the seeds from the Pinon Pine, which as far as I know, only grows out in the southwest. There should not be any in Connecticut. The Pinon seeds are about the size of an English pea.

Plain old long leaf, or short leaf, or loblolly, or any other type of pine has seeds in the cones, but they are much smaller than "pine nuts". They are edible though, as I've eaten them many times with no ill effects. They are closer in size to a sunflower seed, and it would take four or five times as many seeds to get the same amount of material. I'm thinking trying to harvest your own "pine nuts" from an Eastern tree would be kinda like trying to catch enough for a fish dinner, and all you were catching were minnows. Yes, they are fish, and yes they are edible. Sure takes a lot of 'em to make a meal, though.

If I'm overthinking, and have misunderstood your question - sorry 'bout dat.

·
Banned
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have a pine tree right next to house and it is loaded with seeds,they are small, guess i will have to try eating one

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
This is what they look like in the shell. A local italian deli has pine nut cookies that are delicious.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts