Pirates fire at Navy vessel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 22WRF, Apr 11, 2009.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

MOMBASA, Kenya (AP) - A U.S. military official says Somali pirates holding an American sea captain in a lifeboat fired a few shots at a small Navy vessel that had approached. No one was hurt and the Navy vessel turned away.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.

The official says the Navy vessel may have been conducting reconnaissance, and was not carrying out a rescue attempt. The U.S. sailors did not return fire.

The pirates are believed to be armed with pistols and AK-47s.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10168373

2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

These guys just aren't getting it. They got paid off a number of times. It worked well as long as it was a short term thing. Repeatedly extorting money from the world's nations just won't continue to work unless you're the United Nations. I don't know what these guys are thinking... They don't even wear blue helmets. :eek:

3. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Yea because the world is really holding them accountable so far :rolleyes:.

4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

India took some proactive actions. :eek:

http://www.rfi.fr/actuen/articles/107/article_2238.asp

What's interesting about this particular article is that I never realized that the Thai vessel had been hijacked by Somali pirates. As I remember it our media stated that the vessel was actually not a Somali 'mother ship' and was a Thai fishing boat. They said something to the effect that the Indian vessel claimed that it had received fire from the boat but I don't recall our media saying anything about the fact that Somali pirates were actually on board. I could be wrong but that's not what I remember. In fact, our media's interpretation of the incident is why I went looking for the story. I was surprised that the French media said that the ship had been hijacked earlier. :confused:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  5. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Just a couple hundred years ago pirates were hung publicly at the nearest port and left for the gulls.

6. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

I second that notion delta13soultaker.

7. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

Attached Files:

8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Lurpy, I was just thinking that if the dumbarse fires the RPG that close to everyone else, they're all dead. That's hilarious.

9. cec

cec New Member

I have been wondering. Why is this becoming a problem? You have Naval warships around them and we are afraid to move?

Maybe it is too simple in this complex world, yet the obvious solution seems to be: Navy Seals, headshot, hostage free.

Or we can try other approaches like report they are actually a Somali bank which has failed. The gov't will rush to give them part of the stim package.

10. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Sorry to say. There is only one thing that will have a lasting desired effect. Sink that rowboat. The captain might be a casualty, but at least they'll stay away from US flags. If we pay them off or let them go many more American captains and crews will die. It is what it is.

11. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

US citizens are not collateral damage.

Time is on the side of the rescue team. They're not in a fast food line in a rush to get a cheeseburger. There is an American held hostage by a foreign enemy and no reason to rush to failure.

Time is a better weapon right now than anything that can sink that boat. As time goes by the pirates will make more mistakes and grow more careless.

One time the pirates will be careless and make several mistakes at once and a successful rescue will occur.

There is no hurry. The US Navy and support has all the time in the world.

12. killbuck

killbuck New Member