The Firearms Forum banner

Pistol Caliber Rifles: What good are they?

8K views 51 replies 28 participants last post by  Ledslnger 
I wouldn't mind having a carbine that takes .45 ACP.......

I live in a house.

Self defense and security type situations there are generaly less than 25 feet, probably less than 10, in my home.

So I don't see the need for a rifle here.
Have a rifle and a shotgun - they aren't for 'home defense'. They are for defending the livestock from predators and for hunting. Honestly, I don't even really concern myself with home defense way out here in the middle of nowhere where most people don't even have to lock their doors. Granted, I do keep pistols available and I do lock our doors (I have to, peoples computers are in my lab all the time).

Any home defense situation in our house would have to be a pistol. Our dogs are our first line - They live inside with us and have a fenced dog run right out one of the two front doors. Nobody can come here without us kowing about it.

Twice in the last year the dogs went off. Not because anybody was trying to get in but because they heard something outside in the middle of the night. I got up, got dressed fast and strapped on my 45 and went to look. The highest probability was that a wolf went after our sheep and goats and their main pasture is about 50 yards from the window of our bedroom. Checked the livestock and there was no danger so, came back in, told our dogs that they were good dogs, undressed, got back in bed and went back to sleep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.