The Firearms Forum banner

Pistols with shoulder stocks

4K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  Kosh75287 
Great big disclaimer- I am NOT a lawyer, and this is not legal advice- OK?
Shoulder stocks and handguns- You are now seeing the BATFE say that the "pistol braces" that have been sold for AK and AR pistols that permit the gun to be shouldered DOES make the gun a SBR, which WILL require it to be registered with them- but there will be a no-cost amnesty period. Going beyond that:

There HAVE been exceptions to that rule in the past.
Exception #1- the Thompson Contender- which can be a rifle or a pistol. depending on how you mix parts. Just DON'T put a shoulder stock and a barrel under 16 inches on the frame at the same time- and yer good.

Exception #2, 3 and 4. The Luger pistol, Browning Hi-Power and the Broomhandle Mauser pistols- that were MADE for a shoulder stock to be mounted, AND when using an original shoulder stock- were somehow exempted from that rule.
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Wood Revolver Trigger Gun barrel

There are a few other cases where the ATF actually had an outbreak of sanity. Normally a rifle must have at least a 16 inch barrel. Winchester made a number of "Trapper" rifles back in the day with 14 inch barrels. They are exempted from the SBR rule BY SERIAL NUMBER as being a collector's item and not a threat to the safety of the free world.

Curio and Relic List 2018 (atf.gov)

Section III lists firearms that would normally be restricted, and required to be registered as an NFA weapon, but were exempted. Read CAREFULLY- in some cases, the exempted item is ONE specimen listed by serial number.

And Trap is quite right- there ARE guns other than the ones I listed.
Brownelk- I know what you mean. Can only imagine the slaughter and bloodletting that would take place if the Marble Game-Getter was not on the restricted list. Oh, the horror!

I think it must be something in the water in DC that affects the thinking of people there. My single shot .410 Handi-Gun is an NFA firearm, must be registered as an AOW. However, your Judge revolver, which fires multiple .410 shells is not.

'Scuse me- I need to go find some aspirin.