The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A terrifying video in a Colorado church parking lot is on Fox News. You can see the dog at the top of the video running down the side walk, into the parking lot and bypassing two adults and going around them to a 5 year old child.

The mother and three men eventually fought the dog off but the girl suffered serious bits to her arm requiring immediate medical care.

The speed of the attack, the suddenness and unexpectedness render a response to prevent this attack almost impossible. The closeness of the engagement would make using a firearm almost more dangerous than the hands on engagement to free the child from this dog.

Not sure what tactics you could employ to avoid such a sudden confrontation.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-dog-attack-disturbing-footage-video-church

·
Garandaholic
9,549 Posts
Not sure what tactics you could employ to avoid such a sudden confrontation.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-dog-attack-disturbing-footage-video-church
Nothing more than not having a pit bull around children it's not familiar with.
I am a certified dog lover. I will defend pit bulls, but only to an extent.
Any dog can be a threat, particularly to strange children.
The facts are, if you add up all the other breed of dog attacks, it's still a fraction of pit bull attacks.
Pit bull lovers go ahead and flame on.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing more than not having a pit bull around children it's not familiar with.
I am a certified dog lover. I will defend pit bulls, but only to an extent.
Any dog can be a threat, particularly to strange children.
The facts are, if you add up all the other breed of dog attacks, it's still a fraction of pit bull attacks.
Pit bull lovers go ahead and flame on.
Thanks CC, but pit bulls per se was not what I was getting at.

Pit bulls are not the most aggressive dogs. Ankle biters are by far the most aggressive dogs. They do not have the tools to cause significant harm.

However, the pit bulls that are aggressive have incredible tools of death hard to overcome because of the power of their jaws.

My point was how do you guard agains such an unprovoked attack and at the speed of the attack, do you go for your knife for close quarters battle or do you go for your gun to reach out before he is able to get you. There was no warning and the dog sought the small child as his target.

But no, this is a tactics and self defense thread, not an anti-pit bull thread.

But FYI, the biggest reason I carry, is because of pit bulls and the absolutely unbelievable number of people who own them now. They appear to be the most popular breed at this time. I learned enough about pit bulls several years ago that fighting them off with your bare hands is a dicey affair, especially if they are hanging on to one of your limbs.

My post was because of how quickly the pit bull attacked and rendered close quarters handgun use too dangerous to be of help. Even if you saw the pit bull as it was in the road, you only have a split second to react before it attacked by pulling your gun. It would have to be an instantaneous response programed by years of practice and self defense scenarios simulating such an attack.

That is the essence of my post. How do you defend against this type of attack that comes so fast. For that matter, the same discussion could apply with a bear in the woods in a very similar type of lightening attack out of the blue.

I believe I am answering my own post. You have to have practiced to respond so quickly. If anything, this video gives me motivation to get back to the range.

Here is another example of a bear attack against two hunters in Anchorage AK retrieving a moose that they killed with bow and arrow the day before but couldn't recover it before it got too dark.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/10/al...k-10mm-on-elmendorf-richardson/#axzz6EctlxwlG

How rapidly he responded to the bear in full charge dropping it at 10 feet with a double tap is a remarkable story.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CC, here is a recent study showing that Pit bulls and "mixed breed" dogs are the most likely to bite AND they have the worst wounds from these bites. So, I will take issue that pit bulls are not the most common and worst bites. This is followed by German shepherds and Rottweilers.

https://www.aaha.org/publications/n...-identifies-most-damaging-dog-bites-by-breed/

The most fatalities by breed are also caused by Pit bulls, 66% by another report in Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallm...angerous-dog-breeds-infographic/#1d0099bb62f8

In any case, no matter what kind of dog, other than having an instantaneous preplanned response, I don't see how you stop your kid from harm in this situation. It is a dog that just ran down the street and attacked a completely unknown group of people isolating the smallest target.

So, hopefully we don't turn a tactical self defense comment into an anti-pit bull thread, but no, I am no fan of pit bulls that when they do attack, have serious consequences.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Once the dog has taken hold it would be to dangerous to employ a handgun in fear of over penetration and hitting the child or others. I would hope for a good opportunity to use my 6" S&W HRT sheathknife which is always on my hip.

I hope the little girl has a speedy recovery and can over come the mental trauma. The scars will be bad unfortunately.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
That sign needs to come down :) even though a gun would not work in the video posted.
I agree it needs to be replaced..
Where we live, the only places in town that are gun free are churches. There isn't a sign at the local Walmart, grocery stores etc banning firearms.
Most people open carry which I disagree with as it is too easy to use a knife to get their firearm. Open carry is their Right so I support it. OTOH, it is not my way.
Just about all mass shootings occur in a gun free zone; if I'm wrong will someone correct me.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
My buddy had a large aggressive dog decide if would kill his 50lb mix breed. Good natured dog in his own yard when the attack occurred. Doug heard and quickly went out 1911 in hand. He didn't want to risk hitting his dog so he gut shot the attacker with a 230 grain black talon. It ended the fight instantly. He hated having to shoot the dog let alone gut shoot it but it was killing his buddy and he had to take the shot he had.
I have no tolerance for irresponsible dog owners:mad:

·
Premium Member
8,141 Posts
I agree it needs to be replaced..
Where we live, the only places in town that are gun free are churches. There isn't a sign at the local Walmart, grocery stores etc banning firearms.
Most people open carry which I disagree with as it is too easy to use a knife to get their firearm. Open carry is their Right so I support it. OTOH, it is not my way.
Just about all mass shootings occur in a gun free zone; if I'm wrong will someone correct me.
You are right about gun free zones and mass shootings. We are free to CC in our churches here in CO. Good luck on getting that changed for your churches.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I've owned 2 Labs and been around a number of other dogs. I was even mauled at approx 3yrs old but I still like dogs. When asked if my dogs would bite my answer was always: they have teeth. I will not tolerate a dog that bites. It will be a dead dog. In this case a knife would have been my weapon of choice and I would have tried to get the dog on the ground where I could brake legs, neck, crush rib cage or smashed head against the pavement. If you can sit on the rib cage you can suffocate them quite quickly. With the help of others I would have liked to get it's hind legs so I could swing the critter over my head to smash it's head on the pavement. Please don't take offense at the violence I would render if possible, it's my instinctive reaction.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Please don't take offense at the violence I would render if possible, it's my instinctive reaction.
When violence comes knocking it MUST be met with greater force to ensure a positive outcome for you/others to survive it. Otherwise we are just a bunch of pansies walking in Dr. Cocktos world.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You are right about gun free zones and mass shootings. We are free to CC in our churches here in CO. Good luck on getting that changed for your churches.
It is their property and unfortunately, I can't see it any other way.. In Colonial America, the right to own and protect one's property was uniquely different then the feudal system in Europe.

If I came to your house and you said no guns allowed; I have two options, put it my vehicle or leave and I see it as just that simple.
We own acreage in a forest with lots of deer. I let some people hunt and tell others no. My property; so same as it is your choice; it is my choice.

IMO, people should go through training to address such situations. Waiting for a good shot isn't an easy thing..

·
Banned
1,299 Posts
im so happy that most went for the knife thing. thats why i carry razor sharp ones, two of them, one in each pocket. go for the dogs eyes, go for the mountain lions eyes. they cant function without eyes. slit their throat, when they are up and close give them your non dominant arm, it can be fixed, kill with the dominant arm. a knife works for human criminals also. out it comes and they will say, what did you just do to me, a few seconds later they will pass put. one doesnt need a 6 inch blade to slash deep. if your allowed to carry one like that, do so. make sure it is razor sharp. a dull knife is only good for puncture, not slashing. dogs dont come on my place much, the few that have and lingered, died and went in the compost pile.

·
Registered
441 Posts
im so happy that most went for the knife thing. thats why i carry razor sharp ones, two of them, one in each pocket. go for the dogs eyes, go for the mountain lions eyes. they cant function without eyes. slit their throat, when they are up and close give them your non dominant arm, it can be fixed, kill with the dominant arm. a knife works for human criminals also. out it comes and they will say, what did you just do to me, a few seconds later they will pass put. one doesnt need a 6 inch blade to slash deep. if your allowed to carry one like that, do so. make sure it is razor sharp. a dull knife is only good for puncture, not slashing. dogs dont come on my place much, the few that have and lingered, died and went in the compost pile.
Let's be blunt, I grew up with dogs and I love almost all dogs more than a lot of people. We raised upland game dogs and the ones we couldn't sell; I trained. When a hurricane came through; my parents couldn't find me until Mom said check the dog coops. There I was sleeping in the straw with the Weimaraners and Vizslas..
I have a very poor attitude towards some dog owners.

The weak arm is sacrificial and the strong arm kills. Depending on the situation, perhaps the best option is to jam the sacrificial arm down its throat and do what needs to be done.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
20,104 Posts
We had a German Shepard we raised from a pup. He went after my daughter when she was about 2 years old. Bit her in the head. I went after him with something (I can't remember) but my wife had to stop me or I would have killed him.

My wife called my brother in law in Alabama. He drove up here that night and was here in the morning to take him to his body shop. He was a good guard dog for him. We had the dog for a few years and he never hurt anyone. My daughter was coming in the back door and it slammed on his tail. He attacked without thinking. He could have killed her.

I won't have a dog in my house that could kill a small child. One of my Labs would bit my kids when they were older but not an attack.

·
Banned
393 Posts
their are certain people who have them as a status simbol, I see them in the cities quite a bit with no leash. I keep a eye on them as walk by.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Pepper spray would be a good tool to keep handy. Wouldn’t have been too good in this case because the attack was such a surprise. It appears the dog got away. Hope the owner & dog are identified.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts