Pit Bull Attack in Church Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Alaska444, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

im so happy that most went for the knife thing. thats why i carry razor sharp ones, two of them, one in each pocket. go for the dogs eyes, go for the mountain lions eyes. they cant function without eyes. slit their throat, when they are up and close give them your non dominant arm, it can be fixed, kill with the dominant arm. a knife works for human criminals also. out it comes and they will say, what did you just do to me, a few seconds later they will pass put. one doesnt need a 6 inch blade to slash deep. if your allowed to carry one like that, do so. make sure it is razor sharp. a dull knife is only good for puncture, not slashing. dogs dont come on my place much, the few that have and lingered, died and went in the compost pile.

2. kpic

kpic Well-Known Member

Let's be blunt, I grew up with dogs and I love almost all dogs more than a lot of people. We raised upland game dogs and the ones we couldn't sell; I trained. When a hurricane came through; my parents couldn't find me until Mom said check the dog coops. There I was sleeping in the straw with the Weimaraners and Vizslas..
    I have a very poor attitude towards some dog owners.

The weak arm is sacrificial and the strong arm kills. Depending on the situation, perhaps the best option is to jam the sacrificial arm down its throat and do what needs to be done.

shootbrownelk likes this.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

We had a German Shepard we raised from a pup. He went after my daughter when she was about 2 years old. Bit her in the head. I went after him with something (I can't remember) but my wife had to stop me or I would have killed him.

My wife called my brother in law in Alabama. He drove up here that night and was here in the morning to take him to his body shop. He was a good guard dog for him. We had the dog for a few years and he never hurt anyone. My daughter was coming in the back door and it slammed on his tail. He attacked without thinking. He could have killed her.

I won't have a dog in my house that could kill a small child. One of my Labs would bit my kids when they were older but not an attack.

Alaska444 and Arteest like this.
  4. eastbanks

eastbanks Well-Known Member

their are certain people who have them as a status simbol, I see them in the cities quite a bit with no leash. I keep a eye on them as walk by.

Arteest likes this.
  5. Arteest

Arteest Well-Known Member

Pepper spray would be a good tool to keep handy. Wouldn’t have been too good in this case because the attack was such a surprise. It appears the dog got away. Hope the owner & dog are identified.

6. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Churches in Georgia not gun free zones, in general. There used to be a law that said no guns any where that were "social gatherings" and that of course included Churches. That law changed 5 or 6 years ago and now it is up to individual Churches to decide. My church is NOT a gun free zone, right after the law changed, I asked my preacher his thoughts and his answer was - "I have a .38 in my pocket". That was good enough for me to start carrying in Church.

Alaska444, Arteest and One Shot like this.
  7. Catman1942

Catman1942 Well-Known Member

many years ago when i was going to college for becoming a registered nurse their was a incident near the college with a very mean aggressive german shepherd dog. a students girl friend was walking and the dog came out and attacked her and bit her a couple of time but totally terrorized her. the boy friend college student had several black belts in martial arts and was very good with the numbchuck sticks. so he took his numbchuck sticks and walked by the house with the bad german shepherd at it. the dog went for him and with the numbchuck sticks he beat that dog to a pulp. he didnt kill it but it was a long time recovering. it never again ran out and attacked anyone. every one cheered.

Alaska444 and Arteest like this.
  8. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

Dispatching a large (or even medium size) animal without the aid of a firearm is a very difficult task. If you are limited to using a knife or club, keep in mind you're going to get bit or mauled yourself. Not saying you shouldn't do what is necessary to save a child. Just that it's a difficult job.
    I've taken lots of smaller animals by standing on the rib cage and cutting off the air supply when trapping. But they were unconscious at the time. It's do-able on something up to the size of a raccoon, try it with a coyote and you'll get your a%% handed to you. Also had non-target catches of feral dogs (and cat), it's tough enough getting the trap off their foot, but what they do when freed is even more dangerous. (I don't kill dogs or cats in a trap unless there's no other option)
    I agree with the knife solution. It's much better than going in empty handed. Ever seen police K9's in action? That's the type thing your likely to encounter. Again, I'm NOT saying to stand by and do nothing. Just that it's a very difficult thing to do, and be prepared for the fight of your life because the animal is.

9. Alaska444

Alaska444 Well-Known Member

Owner was cited and dog was euthanized. This happened last October.

Arteest likes this.