The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got a old rifle that I bought for 20 bucks from what I was told it's an old German sniper rifle but only numbers I can find on it is 1835. Only thing I know is my uncle's best friend who was a Vietnam vet gave it to my uncle who eventually gave it to my step dad who lost it in a field where it was found a few months later and given to my mother who was gonna sell it for 20$ to a friend but I got it instead. If anyone can tell me anything I'd greatly appreciate it as I'm lost
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,082 Posts
Gonna need way more and better pics, natural light, less grainy
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
28,325 Posts
I don't know about it being a sniper rifle. It's been bubbarized. The sight is missing, the stock isn't original and it's been drilled for scope bases.
Others will be along with more knowledge of military rifles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,399 Posts
At one time that was a very nice sporter built on the old M98 action.
Sadly , being lost outside for a few months has really done some damage to that rifle.
I don't know if it will cleanup any but worth a try.
As for being once a sniper rifle the answer is no it never was.
99% of all M98 sniper rifles had side mounts bases and even with a sporter stock the holes left from the bases would be clearly evident. The other 1% of sniper rifles had a diopter sighting system on the receiver bridge. There is no evidence of one ever being mounted.
Please note that there is much debate as to weather the rifles with the diopter sight was a sniper rifle or a target rifle that was pulled into military service and used as a sniper rifle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better pics
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Yea like I said it was only 20 bucks so not like I'm really out anything but would it be worth it to fix it? And any idea why no serial numbers other them 1835?

And also all the m98 I'm looking at don't have the lever on left hand side to remove the bolt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,082 Posts
The bolt release lever on the rear left of the receiver is a VERY mauser thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,469 Posts
IF the inside of the barrel isn't rusted up or pitted and it's still safe to shoot it would be worth spending a few hours with some steel wool and some elbow grease to clean up the metal.

Having it done professionally might cost you more than it's worth.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,277 Posts
Even if the bore's a total wipeout, the action itself is worth something - though you'd have to seal the off-center scope mount screw holes. The double set triggers, sear, and a trigger guard presumably modified to accept the DSTs are definitely worth a few bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not trying to sell up would like to fix up and keep just wondering if I'd be wasting my money or if I already did
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
28,325 Posts
That's going to depend on the condition of bore. It may not be in bad shape. I'd pull the bolt out and get a look down it. Run some cleaner with a brush and some patches down it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dbcooper

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,399 Posts
Well she's never going to be a looker but if it all functions correctly and the rust is mostly cosmetic then enjoy. I have an old Arisaka T38 that hung in my grandfather's shop for at least 15-20 years. I dared not touch the thing as senility set in and I'll just say it was best left alone. After he passed I took the rust covered rifle down from its hooks thinking it to be a total loss. Grabbing a hold of the bolt handle I gave it a go and about fell over when it actually moved. To cut things short I spent a couple of hours with some #9 and 0000 steel wool and now have a gun I can shoot. While not the prettiest in my safe it holds a special place in my heart and is darn accurate. It's a favorite for my kids as well.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
41,631 Posts
If you only paid $20 for it, there is no way you should think you wasted money on it!! Heck, if nothing else, the next time there is a "gun buy back" in a town near you, go turn it is, I am sure they will be giving more that twenty bucks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,469 Posts
If you're handy with your hands you could refinish the metal work and the stock and it would only cost you the time you spent and a few bucks for the products you'd need to do the refinish work.

It was a fairly nice looking rifle at one time and it still has it's classic lines so it could be made to look good again.

The first thing you'd want to do is have it checked out by a competent gunsmith to make sure it's safe to fire and worth investing time or cash on.
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Top