Please help! I need some direction.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Mary Greer, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Mary Greer

Mary Greer Member

I have two issue I need a little guidance on.

#1 and most importantly. I’m looking for a holster for my Lorcin 380. It’s older and am having a really hard time trying to find an OWB holster that’s relatively inexpensive. I only really need it for a class.

#2 I was looking at a Cobra derringer. I’ve never heard of cobra and am hesitant to buy anything that I really don’t know anything about. It’s not for anything but collection/range play.

Any thoughts, ideas, or comments are welcomed!

jim brady and howlnmad like this.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

#1 You might look at the inexpensive Uncle Mike's holsters. They are made of canvas and fit a bunch of different of guns.

#2 Have you ever heard of Davis Derringers? Cobra is the same gun as Davis but with a new name. I have one of the old Davis' in .32 and I would have no problem buying a Cobra.

3. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I liked George's suggestion on the Uncle Mike's holster. I have one that I use for my Walther PPK, and I think the same one would fit your pistol. I wear mine on my belt just over my back pocket, but that may or may not work for you. Those holsters are very inexpensive, but the quality is good. I've been carrying mine for more than 10 years.

As far as a derringer type pistol - I am not a fan of them. I've had two - both Davis, and both a complete waste. One was a .38 Special and the other a .22. With both of those, you'd have a hard time hitting your foot with them. I think they called them "belly guns" because you have to stick them into your opponent's belly to hit them with it. On top of that, the trigger pull was VERY heavy (especially on the .38). Takes two men and a boy to squeeze the trigger. I bought the .22 and inherited the .38. I was glad to give both away.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I had one in .38 a long time ago, shortly after I bought it (first time I fired it) I gave it to my brother. That was the second most painful gun that I have ever fired.

Jim is correct about those Derringers being pretty much worthless, if you were to shoot at a man sized target at three feet, you would be extremely lucky to hit it!!

5. Clipper

Clipper Well-Known Member

I foolishly bought a Cobra in 9mm, only fired it once, 90 pound tigger pull and severe recoil, put it away. It's gone now, don't have any desire for another.

6. jwdurf

jwdurf Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I had an American Derringer .38. as stated, it was no fun at all, and really hard to aim. but that .38 Special birdshot load would flat turn a rattlesnake into a sieve......

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    jim brady and Mary Greer like this.
  7. rawright54

rawright54 Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work Supporting Member

Both Lorcin and Cobra are cheap, throwaway guns, so don't waste too much money on holsters for them. I've been in a spot a few times in my life when that's all I could afford, but a bad gun is better than no gun when bad things happen. Just don't count on getting a second shot - make sure the first one hits home. The nylon Uncle Mike's will work just fine for them, and they're inexpensive; try Walmart. In many ways, I think the cheap nylon generic holsters are a better buy than the fancy, expensive leather rigs. They tend to be more versatile, more comfortable, and way less expensive.

By the way, welcome to the Forum, Mary! You won't find a better bunch of good people anywhere...

BlackEagle and Mary Greer like this.
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I agree with the Uncle Mikes for a holster. As to the derringer, come on over for a visit, you can play around with mine. As stated above, a bit harsh in 38 spl, but still fun to play with.

PS, what class?

Mary Greer likes this.
  9. north tex

north tex Well-Known Member

I own a Lorcin 380. Most unreliable gun I've ever owned. Never could get it to feed reliably. Don't remember ever getting a full mag throuh it without a jam. As mentioned, Uncle Mike's nylon is your only option that I know of.
    I carried a Derringer for several years. While I don't nessesarily agree with some of the accuracy statements, trigger pull makes them difficult to use. If you get one make sure it is a newer one that is "drop safe". There have been many accidental discharges with that design .

jim brady and Mary Greer like this.
  10. Mary Greer

Mary Greer Member

I’m taking my cwp in August and they require an OWB holster.

I’m not crazy about my Lorcin, honestly. But, my dad gave it to me. So it has a special place in my heart. But I definitely have to agree with you about getting through a magazine without a jam. It’s really frustrating. I’m getting a Taurus judge (which I love!) from a friend of mine and have never hAd a problem with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2020
  11. zant

zant Well-Known Member

Had 2 friends that owned derringers-1 shot himself in foot/other in upper leg....Dangerous weapons unless you practice daily....I'll take my Airweight .38

12. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

My Davis .38 would even chamber .38 Special shot ammo. If it did I might have kept it. Guy I used to shoot with had a Lorcin .380 and hated it, too. For Conceal Carry I gave my wife a 9X18 Makarov and she liked it - but it was a little heavy for her style of carry. Later I bought her a Kimber Micro 9, and she likes it. Not much difference in power between the 9X18 and the 9mm Luger, but the Micro 9 has a grip mounted laser to just point and shoot.

jwdurf likes this.
  13. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

I had an Uncle Mike's holster for my SP101.worked just fine, never a problem, though it could be difficult to reholster. Sold the gun with the holster.

Bought a .38 derringer. for a pocket pistol. Extremely heavy hammer trying to cock it. Even heavier trigger pull. Wife, daughter, granddaughter, all tried to carry it, but could not pull the trigger.
    Can't speak to accuracy because trigger pull was so stiff, couldn't stay on target. Gladly sold it and will never have another.

jim brady likes this.
  14. shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk Well-Known Member

My Judge shooting .410 #8 shot does an excellent job on rattlers at 10-12 feet.

howlnmad, jwdurf and Mary Greer like this.
  15. Mary Greer

Mary Greer Member

I do love that judge!

howlnmad likes this.