Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Please help identify old shotguns!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Joonas, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Joonas

Joonas New Member

Hello.

Can anyone help identify/give any information about these 3 shotguns?
    I took the barrels off and there is some markings. The second shotgun is not in very good condition.

Link to the pictures http://lintulaakso.fi/~joonas/shotguns/

Any help is appreciated!

-Joonas

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum Joonas. I am not an expert on anything!! I did look at the first 13 pictures and I have no idea what I am looking at. I can't recognize the bits and pieces that I saw as anything. I don't know what other people are seeing, but the pictures are so huge that the entire picture does not show up on my screen. I am sure that the experts we have will need to the the WHOLE gun, from the top, bottom, right, and left.

3. Joonas

Joonas New Member

Okay, sorry about that. I now resized the images to fit 1200 pixels/side.
    I also added pictures named "shotgun 1/2/3 whole" showing the whole guns assembled (sorry for my bad english)
    All other pictures are taken when the the barrels are off the stock (all pictures of barrels with any kind of marking stamps are taken from the part which would not be visible because of the stock, if the barrel was attached to it.

Then there is pictures of different metal parts of the guns, carvings.

4. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

Thank you, much better, very nice shotguns. I am sure that someone will be able to give you some information on them.

5. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Three nice quality old percussion doubles, maybe all French as the first one shows the provisional St. Etienne proof mark. The 17.2 would be bore diameter in millimeters.

"Damas Bernard" on barrels of last means Damascus steel barrels made by Bernard, and Leopold Bernard was a famous Paris barrel maker according to the Littlegun site:
    http://www.littlegun.info/arme francaise/artisans a b/a bernard leopold gb.htm

6. Joonas

Joonas New Member

Interesting.. So at least the first one is French. On the second one there seems to be only one stamp but the third one is full of many different stamps, what could these be?

Any way to tell approximately how old these guns are? On the first shotgun there is a stamp thats seems to say GERES/GEREST. It wasn't visible when I first got the gun because it was covered in dirt. Could this be a name of a gunsmith or a place..? What about price?

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member