The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a DWM Luger that I believe is an Imperial Navy. I cannot determine what some of the markings on it and am wondering if there is anyone who can help me.
Here are details:
1. Toggle Inscription DWM and no other inscritption
2. Chamber Inscription___
3. Toggle Knob Type (“Smooth Dished”, or “Squared and Knurled”)___Squared Knurled
4. Grip Safety (“Present” or “Not Present”)_Not Present
5. Stock Lug (“Present” or “Not Present”)_Present (stock is included)
6. Caliber (“9mm” or “7.65mm /.30 Luger”)___9mm
7. Grip Type (Walnut or Beech, Smooth or Checkered, With or Without a Border, or Plastic in brown or black, With or Without Insignia) Walnut Checkered, No insignia No border
8. Thumb Safety (“Safe” in forward or rear position, Describe Markings)__Gesichert Safe in Rear position
9. Describe any and all marking as completely as possible, including their locations on the firearm. Use

Numbered Markings from Parabellum website if possible. Chamber Left has “M” under wide crown which almost looks like a sideways doubled capital B stamped to make three humps and an attached plus sign above it. Chamber Right has “GERMANY” and An unknown fancy letter “N” by itself, next it has either RN or PN under the same crown as described on Chamber Left. The Barrel has the full SN of “JJ62” and the same M under the crown mark on the belly of the barrel. The JJ62 is again on the face of the frame. All other parts, Sear, safety, disassembly latch, the stock, the cleaning rod, loading key all have the corresponding number 62. e

10. Barrel Length (Measure from Forward End of Extractor to Muzzle) 6”
11. Markings on Left Edge of Extractor____”GELADEN”_______
12. Description of Front and Rear Sights__Front sight is a dorsal fin shape and no markings. Rear sight is a “V” type with a Mark 100 showing and screw/pin going through it.
13. Magazine Bottom Plug Material and Markings_No Markings on the magazine – end plug is plastic and doesn’t appear to be original.

1. Model Variation (Determined Above)
2. Percentage of remaining bluing (i.e. 80%, 95%, etc.)
95%
3. Percentage of remaining straw colored finish on parts such as trigger, disassembly latch, etc.) 90%
4. Condition of Bore. Good
5. Condition of Grips. Good
6. All matching serial numbers. Most small parts will carry last two digits of serial number. Yes
7. Correct matching magazine(s) with matching serial numbers. No
8. Any accessories such as holster, stock, loading/takedown tool, capture papers, etc. Holster, Stock, take down tool are all in great shape.

The bluing is mostly intact to 98%. The straw coloring varies from excellent to good on most of the parts. Knurling on the toggle knobs has wear. The Bore, grips, stock, all leather, the takedown key and cleaning rod are all in great to excellent condition. I have not taken it down so I don’t know if the firing pin is matching SN or been replaced.
5.jpg
1 (2).jpg
5 (2).jpg
2 (2).jpg
4.jpg
22.jpg
21.jpg
20171025_164930.jpg
20171025_165043.jpg
20171025_165107.jpg

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
The fact that it has Germany stamped on the side is a sure indicator that the gun was intended for export. It does not German military markings. The number on the back half of the toggle does not match. The gun looks refinished and the markings just do not look right to me. They are correct for an export gun but the actual marks do not match any I can find. It does appear to have the Navy style rear sight but it is missing parts and they were also used on some commercial models. Someone else may be along to set me straight but this is my opinion at this time. Some pictures in natural sunlight would help a lot. Flash often changes the appearance a good bit.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
The 100 does appear to be a sight marking and would be correct. The outside pictures are much better. The gun still has an off look to me and the Crown marks do not match any I can find. It is more or less correctly marked for a Commercial Navy Mode. Some did include the pictured stocks. Is there a crown over N on the metal grommet in the middle of the stock?

·
Super Moderator
39,088 Posts
I have searched through my little book by Aarron Davis titled The Luger Handbook. I found the Crown over M is a German Navy Proof and the Crown over N is a German Commercial Proof. I don't think they would be together on the same gun. The "GERMANY" on the receiver indicates that it was a commercial model. I don't find any reference to that crown over the RN or the bigger "cursive" N. The commercial ones were put together from leftover parts and cobbled together for sale outside of Germany. I can't figure out if you have a rare version or a frankenluger. You might want to locate a real expert on Lugers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 100 does appear to be a sight marking and would be correct. The outside pictures are much better. The gun still has an off look to me and the Crown marks do not match any I can find. It is more or less correctly marked for a Commercial Navy Mode. Some did include the pictured stocks. Is there a crown over N on the metal grommet in the middle of the stock?
It's a Crown over M
20160322_150910.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have searched through my little book by Aarron Davis titled The Luger Handbook. I found the Crown over M is a German Navy Proof and the Crown over N is a German Commercial Proof. I don't think they would be together on the same gun. The "GERMANY" on the receiver indicates that it was a commercial model. I don't find any reference to that crown over the RN or the bigger "cursive" N. The commercial ones were put together from leftover parts and cobbled together for sale outside of Germany. I can't figure out if you have a rare version or a frankenluger. You might want to locate a real expert on Lugers
I am truly baffled at those two markings as well. The RN and the cursive N are just not found anywhere on the net forums. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
39,088 Posts
Also. Does it look like the word GERMANY is stamped over another marking to you?
There does appear to be something between the G and the E but very hard to tell what it might be.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
The stock marking looks legitimate and correct for a Military Navy Luger. These were used on Commercial models. The crown over M looks right. Note the difference in the Crown. It is what is usually seen. The marks on the gun look suspect to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The stock marking looks legitimate and correct for a Military Navy Luger. These were used on Commercial models. The crown over M looks right. Note the difference in the Crown. It is what is usually seen. The marks on the gun look suspect to me.
Oddly, as I zoom in on the script letter N (4th picture of the original post blown up.) it also appears to be two opposing J's and an N in the middle. Can you see that as well? Like they stamped an upside down J then the N attached to it, then another J off the other end of the N. It could entirely be true that my imagination may be leading my sight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts