The Firearms Forum banner

Please help value my Colt 1877 Thunderer

11K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Hawg 
#1 · (Edited)
Im looking to see if anyone has an idea on price for this 1877 Thunderer .41. The attached pics show some dried oil on the gun .....which I have been removing with my thumb nail....any better ideas welcome. The grips are in perfect condition ...the gun fires when pulling the trigger. (though Im not about to put live rounds in it ) Barrel is 4 1/2 in length and the s# 57933.

Is it advised to get a Colt letter for this gun ??...or, back in the day, could they be bought from most hardware stores?

Any ideas on how to remove the dried gun oil from the grips?

It turns out this gun was owned by a retired police officer here in Honolulu. Not sure of what year he aquired it though....as he could not have been the original owner. He was born in 1908.

I found this gun along with 11 other guns when I was asked to throw all contents out from a old tool shed. The owner of the house was told of my find and signed all papers allowing me to own them. Wooohoooo!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
The .41 brings more than the .38, with a top of $5000 or so for one NIB (yes they do exist; I have seen two in the last year). An average good one would probably be around $1000.

The bad news is that the pictured gun has been buffed down and refinished, reducing the value to (IMHO) under $500, assuming it is fully functional. If parts are worn/broken it would go for less than that.

The old oil should come off with gasoline or lighter fluid.

Jim

#5 ·
Had a gun collector come look at them .....told me it/they are in original condition ..graded them to about 80 percent ..he has offered to buy all 4 for $3000....does this sound good ? help

The workings internally are all good .....I brought up the idea that it had been refinished...he said no these are all in original condition. When pressed further he said he can tell by the look and feel.

Attachments

#6 ·
The S&W looks near new. The two Colt autos I can't tell much, but the .25 has definitely been buffed and reblued. The .32 (or .380?) looks like the finish is mottled some way, but it may be a trick of the light. OK, here is my WAG, retail prices. $350 on the S&W, $200 on the .25 Colt, and $350-400 on the pocket auto (if the finish is reallly poor), $600 if it is better than it looks.

My advice is to take his $3000 and run. Maybe if you play coy, he might even offer more.

Jim

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for all your work in advising me on this gun ....its the one gun I really didnt want to get rid of. The low price due to rebuffing etc was making it seem like I may end up keeping it.....however it now looks like it has to go.
Thanks once again for taking the time to reply....much aloha Darren (running fast)

#8 ·
I saw one of those in .41 at the Pittsburgh show last year, mint, unfired, in the factory case. I almost drooled all over it. The price was $6k and I have no doubt it was worth that, though he might have taken less. (I had a couple of hundred on me, so I didn't dicker.)

I did get a nice .41, in about 99% nickel, for $800 a couple of years ago. It didn't work, so the seller let it go cheap. I brought it home, took it down, tweaked the little pin on the hand, and put it back together. Sometimes, it does pay to know the "innards" of guns.

Jim

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
The .41 Thunderer is also a pain in the hand to fire. That knuckle on the rear grip is necessary to provide for DA firing, and is not too bad in the .38, but is brutal in the .41. I could only take three cylinders before giving up. I told Billy the Kid he could have them.

Jim

#15 · (Edited)
No, Belle and Pat were my cousins. My maw was Calamity Jane - looked just like Doris Day. ;)

Seriously, I like to fire the old guns, not just display them. Some I can't as the ammo either is not available, is too expensive or too hard to make. (And, cost aside, I hate to fire collector ammo; if it survived 100+ years, I don't like to shoot it.) Thanks to the cowboy shooting sport, .41 Colt is now available at reasonable prices.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.