The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another gun from my grandfather’s collection that I have inherited. I am looking for possible date of manufacture and value please. Another firearm that I have had trouble finding dates of manufacture on as there is a lot of different information out there for these. There aren’t many markings on this one other than on the right side of the receiver it has a patent pending mark near the selector knob. On the left side of the barrel it has Stevens, J. Stevens Arms Company Chicopee Falls, Mass U.S.A. Model 22-410 and on the right side of the barrel it has 22 long rifle on the top barrel and proof tested .410 bore 3 inch chamber on the bottom barrel. it has some of the case hardening left on the receiver, blued barrels and walnut stocks. Both barrels are bright and clean with the 22 barrel having sharp rifling and the 410 barrel being smooth with no pitting or other blemishes on either. I have attached pictures of these markings, if any other information is needed to help identify this firearm please let me know. Any information I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Liquid Fluid Wood Air gun Water

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Wood Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory

·
Super Moderator
44,808 Posts
I cannot tell you date of manufacture, but I can tell you what the 2020 Standard Catalog of Firearms says about the value:

Exc $350
VG $300
Good $250
Fair $175

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
They were made between 1938 and 1950, Tenite stocks were introduce about 1945-46. No serial numbers were required before 1968, so they don't have one to date. Used to be a $200 gun, but the last few years the sold prices are double that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They were made between 1938 and 1950, Tenite stocks were introduce about 1945-46. No serial numbers were required before 1968, so they don't have one to date. Used to be a $200 gun, but the last few years the sold prices are double that.
Most of the ones I have seen have a patent number on them and I read somewhere (can’t remember where now) that the ones with patent pending on them were the early production ones. Would you happen to know when they started putting the patent number on them? That could help me narrow down a date. Thank you for the information greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
I was trying to find that info while you were posting, sorry no luck. I know there's info that can put them in a time frame, but can't remember where to find it. Gun Values board (twodogs?), or a Savage collectors board would be the place to ask.

·
Premium Member
11,571 Posts
That would be my suggestion. Find a Savage Model 24 forum and someone there can probably help.
(FYI Savage purchased Steven’s)

·
Premium Member
982 Posts
Savage changed the model number to the model 24 in 1950. Same gun just a different name and number. I had a 22-410 a while back. I let the friend I got it from have it back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts