Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Please, need help with H & R 22 Special

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by gottfish4, May 11, 2009.

1. gottfish4

gottfish4 New Member

Hello,
    I have an H&R 22 Special Topbreak that needs some parts and can't find a schematics for it. Any suggestions on where I can find one.
    And also, where can I find parts?
    I need the, don't know the exact name for it, pivoting 'catch' that pushes the ejector when you 'break' the gun open, and probably the pivot screw. ( it slips off the catch when it opens up past half way).
    Anyone's help on this is VERY welcome.

2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the part is called the extractor cam and fits into the hinge where the frame and barrel are joined. before you replace anything check out the actual tavel distance of the extracror. the extractor is designed to automatically eject fired cartridge cases only. unfired cartridges should not be ejected but remain in the cylinder. one sourse of parts for this model is numrich arms www.e-gunparts.com

please keep in mind the 22 special was built of two different frame and there are variations in the parts. early and mid production 1925 until about 1936 or so were built on the Auto-ejector frames (free wheeling cylinder) and late production after about 1936 were build on the Model 999 frame (equipped with automatic cylinder stop.
    bill

3. gottfish4

gottfish4 New Member

Wow, even more confusing!
    Can you help identify which one I have and about when it was made and what size frame etc I should look for at that site?
    The serial# is..5318XX and is on the metal on front of the grip.

It springs back about halfway and won't eject the empties.

THANK YOU for your help.

I got this gun at an auction not knowing much about it except it's made by the same manuf. as my M1 Garand. I love the old ones!

4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the serial number puts in in the 1928 to 1932 era. that should be toe older auto-ejecting frame but to be 100% sure i would need to see some good pictures and know if it has one piece or two piece grips. the most likely cause of early release of the extractor is wear to the frame area where the extractor cam engages it (bottom of the hinge area).

22 SPECIAL LARGE FRAME TOP BREAK-------------------------1925-1941
    6 inch barrel only, 22 Rimfire 9 shot & 22 WRF Caliber 7 shot, blue finish only, 2 piece walnut grips (after 1932 I piece grips)
    First Variation, 7 shot 22 rimfire only, over sized 2 piece saw handle shaped walnut grips (serial number range above 490000*)--------1926-1928
    Second Variation 9 shot 22 rimfire and 7 shot 22WRF (serial number range 497000-559100*)----1928-1930
    Third Variation new rounded 2 piece grip (saw handle shape eliminated) (serial number range unknown)-----1932
    Fourth Variation safety cylinder and new grip frame (RICE FRAME) (serial number range 559100-590000*)-----1933-1938
    Fifth Variation automatic cylinder stop (serial number range above 590000*)--1939-1942
    After 1930 listed in catalogs as: MODEL 944 LARGE FRAME TOP BREAK .22 RIMFIRE CALIBER 9 shot and MODEL 945 LARGE FRAME TOP BREAK .22 Winchester Rim Fire CALIBER 7 shot
    VALUE: 100%=$330 60%=$150 Add 50% premium for 22 WRF chambering; 15% for 1st Variation; 10% premium for 4th & 5th Vatiation

bill

5. gottfish4

gottfish4 New Member

I will try to get pictures out asap.
    I looked at the part of the frame you are talking about, but don't see any significant wear or notching, but maybe it's enough to cause that.

Thanks!