The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On all of the gun platforms I read.. i can't help but notice the large up-tick in new reloaders. And from what I can see.. many are 'crash-courseing' it and just plowing thru without really understanding what they are doing.. skipping steps.. etc. IMHO.. I'm kinda glad some of the public ranges are still closed or social distanced.. I don't want to stand next to the millennial who learned to load...kinda.. 5 minutes ago and is now going to try to grenade his gun in the isle next to me.

Sad and scary all at once. At least some are finding help .

·
Super Moderator
42,021 Posts
The main reason I don't publish load data on any platform I use.
I might mention what I load for myself but never recommend any load. When someone comes here asking for load recommendations, like most everyone else, my usual first comment is something like "what does your manual say"!!

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
"Where can I find a load for........." BUY A FLIPPIN' MANUAL!!!! Why is the current generation of mind numbed, indoctrinated humans so resistant to a book? Nevermind....no one will ever explain that satisfactorily

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
They keep asking questions that the reloading manuals give detailed explanations of. Well over half the questions that new reloaders ask are covered by instructions included in reloading manuals or the die sets. Why can't they read the instructions? I reloaded for over 25 years without the internet, and without anyone helping me. I learned by reading the manuals. When I started, I would keep the manuals open, and ensure I was doing everything that the book told me to do, in the right order. Now you have people who are trying to reload without manuals, asking for "recipes" online, without even trying to see which loads are the most accurate, or even if they are approaching high pressure. I guess they aren't aware of just what dangers are possible.

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Why can't they read the instructions? I reloaded for over 25 years without the internet, and without anyone helping me. I learned by reading the manuals. When I started, I would keep the manuals open, and ensure I was doing everything that the book told me to do, in the right order.
Me too. I started loading .30-06 rounds in 1986 without any assistance. And my die set instructions that came with the set are totally highlighted, underlined and grimed up. Still have most of my fingers.;)

·
Premium Member
8,527 Posts
Is it possible that their reading /comprehension level is not up to par?

I started my Reloading by Buying a Speer Manual before my Lee Challenger Reloading kit arrived via UPS. I had read that manual from cover to cover at least 3 times before the equipment arrived at my door.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
Dad taught me with the old Lee loader so I knew the process.....with it. The guy I bought my first Lyman Spartan press from threw in a set of 357 dies and told me I'd need a shell holder and a book and I was off to the races...as soon as I bought a Lyman book. Just before we moved to Wyoming I gave that old book to a young fella who worked for me and it didn't have either cover or the first or last 3-5 pages. I talked to him a few months ago and he still has it and said he still uses it. It's one of those evil, pre-lawyer books that still recommends fillers.

Reactions: joe45c and soundguy

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I notice many that just grab any bullet and any powder and then go try to force load data..instead of looking at either component and finding a listed load and go from there...
Is it possible that their reading /comprehension level is not up to par?

I started my Reloading by Buying a Speer Manual before my Lee Challenger Reloading kit arrived via UPS. I had read that manual from cover to cover at least 3 times before the equipment arrived at my door.
Speer was one of my first manuals too.

I think this new generation isn't as much a book generation. Remember..this is the gen where you go watch a 5m YouTube video.. And then try to fix your toilet..then call a plumber and make a flood claim on your homeowners insurance.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
Self taught also, using the Speer manual and Lyman molds, I made gobs of .357 158 grain Keith type lead bullets for my Blackhawk...branched into other presses after my RockChucker (still have it) bought a Lee turret press, really liked everything about it but the priming system, kids gifted me a Dillon 550B about 10 years back, and I have been able to teach a few friends the craft, enjoy my grands coming by to make their favorite rounds for their guns, the list included 9MM Makarov, 9MM Luger, .380 ACP and .45 ACP...I get to watch my friends enjoy "rolling" their own, and my grands are a joy to watch as they grow in knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Hodgdon who now owns the Hodgdon, IMR, Winchester, Accurate, and Ramshot brands of gunpowders has free load data online. Although Accurate and Ramshot load data is still at Western Powder website. Hodgdon is still working at transferring that load data to Hodgdon’s load data website, but has Accurate and Ramshot gunpowders along with the other three brands description on their online sales website,
sales.hodgdon.com
Hodgdon’s load data,
hodgdonreloading.com

What puzzles me about the people who come to this gun forum or the other gun forums I frequent is when a person will ask such a question about load data or anything firearms related, but are completely un-Internet savvy as to just look it up themselves. It’s not that difficult to get information now a days with all the various manufacturers offering technical data on their products on their website’s. And if a company’s website doesn’t answer a particular query, just phrase the Internet search as a question which in all likelihood will bring up someone who has had experience with what one is searching an answer for. The Internet has become a wealth of Worldwide information. A few strokes of the keyboard and 99% of the time I have an answer within minutes.

·
Premium Member
8,527 Posts
I need to Get the 11th edition Hornady Manual. I think I will get the bound version this time instead of the Kindle Version.

Reactions: howlnmad

·
Registered
314 Posts
"Where can I find a load for........." BUY A FLIPPIN' MANUAL!!!! Why is the current generation of mind numbed, indoctrinated humans so resistant to a book? Nevermind....no one will ever explain that satisfactorily
Youtube - if most had to order a book and wait for it to come in the mail they would loose interest before it arrived. Most of the same couldnt find the post office without gps. From what I see from some is they dont even take the time to read the instructions that came with their dies before they post a photo asking whats wrong with this funny looking bullet.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
. We had a computer for 1 1/2 years before I used it and it was for Hornady's data info sight and got hooked on that stuff then got to checking them FERUMS out for research and stuff . Have had a few people that got reloading stuff left to them from a grand pa or somebody ask me to help get going . Glad to help but like someone said do some research . Example ,, if you got 30-06 dies and bullets you can't use same stuff for 9mm .

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
I guess manuals cost money and info on the internet is free. There are libraries and folks should use them. Lots of reloading manuals and gun related books to choose from at our local library, but then this is Wyoming.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts