The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thing I've noticed is a lot of them do something absolutely stupid before they ask for help and had they read a manual and learned to make good safe ammo first it never would have happened, well I'd hope it wouldn't have. maybe we make it sound to easy to just work up a load? Actually it is! Had a very close friend, he died in 1995, that had tons of reloading gear and he just start at a max load and call it good! Another time he showed up to hunt with a box of ammo he'd done and first shot he loaded a round and didn't take the shot and pulled the bullet trying to get the action open. After that I did his ammo for him. Read this stuff all the time!

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
The internet is great...kinda like TV. Books are better than both. They don't have a battery to go dead and work no matter the signal strength.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Many of my friends and co-workers assume that I reload. I don't, but I would like to learn. Tinkering is the main enjoyment I get from the firearms hobby. I don't compete and I don't hunt anymore. I simply don't have the time. However, I would like to get into reloading when we get into more normal times. The last thing that I want to do is to rush into it and damage a firearm, or heaven forbid injure myself or others.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i'v only been reloading for a year and I still ask questions (lots of them dumb )
I still weigh every 20th powder drop.
I still case check every round I make
I measure every 20th round with the dial indicator
I still trying to figure out why I get a sideways primer now and then.
still trying to figure out why some brain child made 10mm and .45acp
with small primers.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
SLICE, I might be able to answer the last one....emphasis on "might." With the 45 I believe that was done to supposedly/perhaps enhance accuracy. I didn't know which of the several10mm cases you mean was made with small primers.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
If I remember right, Federal made a 30-30 with a small primer pocket back in the 70's or 80's. Called it the 30 American. Idea was that the smaller flash hole would improve accuracy ? It was the parent case of a number of wildcats (mostly by the bench rest fraternity), none of which lasted for very long.

·
Premium Member
19,705 Posts
Had that happen on my single stage rcbs a couple of times. Usually my last primer in the tube goes into the presses primer cup a little off kilter. i guess cause it's the last primer and there isn't any weight from primers on top of it. Most times no problem, but sometimes if it's tipped too much it gets pushed into the brass side ways. Even had one go in upside down once!:mad:

·
Registered
342 Posts
SLICE, I might be able to answer the last one....emphasis on "might." With the 45 I believe that was done to supposedly/perhaps enhance accuracy. I didn't know which of the several10mm cases you mean was made with small primers.
merdona (spelling) I had a bunch that were SP, the .45 were federal. they all went in the scrap pile.
What press? The Dillon 650 is kinda known for this, either clean the primer assembly or check if everything is still tight in it.
Dillon 550, I even tried a new primer cup and now waiting on the alignment tool from dillon.

on a side note I took pictures of the SP pockets but I'll damned if I can find them on my phone

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Yes there are a lot of new reloaders getting started, I can tell by the amount & condition of dropped rounds I pick up at the range. I have seen an increase in tings like, primers in backwards, bullets in backwards, no powder, no primers, split cases with bullet in case, wrinkled cases with bullet in case. I even found one that someone tried to substitute cotton ball wet with lighter fluid for powder.
A lot of these new reloaders you couldn't get to read a book even if they had one.
I try to direct new loaders to this sight if I find they don't have a book to go by, it's not enough but it's better than nothing.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
not really i had a few early ones, but none since i've gained experience re-loading. it did help to quickly identify the issue and learned how to clear them effectively.
Great!! Good on you for finding the problem and remedying the situation.

I had a whole box of 50, 45 Colt squibs one time, 20 years ago or more. Wasn't me. Evidently that can of IMR-4227 had gone bad or deteriorated somehow. There was so much unburned powder in the barrel I swabbed it a few times when I was just shooting them up to get rid of them. Loaded another 5 rounds from the same can with the same results. Joyce's plants enjoyed the remainder. Boy I hate that!!

·
Super Moderator
28,996 Posts
i'v only been reloading for a year and I still ask questions (lots of them dumb )
I still weigh every 20th powder drop.
I still case check every round I make
I measure every 20th round with the dial indicator
still trying to figure out why some brain child made 10mm and .45acp
with small primers.
I've been handloading for over 20 years and still ask questions
I weight check every 10
I visually inspect every round as it goes into the finished tray
I measure randomly
Sideways or smashed primers? I screwed up.
Small pistol primers in 45 acp? For guys like me that a lot of SP primers and low on LP.

·
Registered
37 Posts
SLICE said:
Joe45C wrote: Had that happen on my single stage rcbs a couple of times. Usually my last primer in the tube goes into the presses primer cup a little off kilter. i guess cause it's the last primer and there isn't any weight from primers on top of it. Most times no problem, but sometimes if it's tipped too much it gets pushed into the brass side ways. Even had one go in upside down once!:mad:

I run a couple of Dillon 550's. One for rifles and one for handguns. My experience with sidways primers is that when the primer slide gets sticky and 'jumps' when picking up a primer there is a good chance the primer 'jumps' in turn. So when I feel that kind of 'bump/jump' I look carefully before seating the primer. Unfortunately when I am cranking out 200 to 300 per hour I don't always pay attention. When it happends I shut down production and clean the primer bar.

·
Registered
19 Posts
GONRA's pretty sure most of ya'll had a true TECHNICAL interest/curiousity
in reloading, ammo, guns when starting out....
Many of these new guys are just trying to save $$$ and "start shootiin'"
like they see on TV, Utube, etc.

Technical details, safety issues
("It will NEVER happen to ME - I'M SUCH A NICE PERSON -
not like those NRA ********!") are BORING!

These guys are brought up in a "hit the spell correct key" culture
that JUST DOESN'T VERK WELL WITH RELOADING!

Difficult to figgerout how to deal with this!
Publlc Service TV Ads?
Free case of beer if you do NOT blow yer headoff with first reloads?
???

·
GUNZILLA
7,550 Posts
I am still knew to reloading. I did not began until I retired from the Army in 96. I bought every manual from every manufacturer that made bullets, but the one to get me started was the ABC's of reloading. I read every manual while waiting for my Forster Press to become available which was almost a couple of years. In the mean time I loaded with a lee hand loader and it was for my only hunting rifle in 30-06. Like to keep my loading simple starting at just above minimum load until I find a load where I get the most accuracy. I never chase speed so my loads are seldom near max. Once I find the most accurate load for that rifle I chrono those loads for velocity so I can get my dope at various distances. Oh btw I measure every load for every round, this helps me alleviate any double charges.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ms6852 is an excellent example of what GONRA is talkin' about!
In 1960's, spent ~ $200 for first class (Hollywod Senior Press, dies in those days)
equipment, before loading ONE ROUND of 6.5 Japanese ammo.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts