The Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I run a couple of Dillon 550's. One for rifles and one for handguns. My experience with sidways primers is that when the primer slide gets sticky and 'jumps' when picking up a primer there is a good chance the primer 'jumps' in turn. So when I feel that kind of 'bump/jump' I look carefully before seating the primer. Unfortunately when I am cranking out 200 to 300 per hour I don't always pay attention. When it happends I shut down production and clean the primer bar.
Been there, done that. My first time found an upside down primer on a FTF, at the range. Next time I reloaded, I noticed right off the primer slide was "sticky", and I cleaned and polished it. Now, before every loading session, I clean and polish the primer slide. If it ever becomes "sticky", I shut it down and clean it up.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I just found a picture I took a few years back which reminded me on this thread. I found the brass like this in the scrap at our local range.

IMAG0235.jpg

I mean if those primers don't fit into a crimped primer pocket they sure should fit the 2nd case, or the 3rd, maybe the 4th? Hmm the 5th than?
What is it they said about the definition of insanity?

I re-used the primers and scrapped the brass.

·
Registered
365 Posts
On one hand I'm glad to see more folks interested in the firearm sports and rolling their own, at least in theory it strengthens our numbers. On the other hand I see so many who did not investigate the what, when, why, how and who. I started on my own with a little help from a friend at work. I then found and lurked on sites like this one. Eventually joining and asking all of the questions that I could think of. With that advise I bought a press kit and all the dies I needed, then I read and re-read the manual. I started reloading gradually, with the help of great people like y'all. I read the instructional part of every manual I bought twice. When someone asks for advise this is exactly what I give them. Don't start with step 3, start with step 1 and follow the steps in succession.

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
yup.. when ammo first started going scarce.. some people jumped into reloading grabbing supplies.. and throwing caution to the wind.. at least now.. not many supplies available..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just started reloading about a year ago, I only have trouble finding load data on specialty rounds like sub sonic, super sonic etc. I usually find them after searching for awhile online. To be honest, I don't think I would take advice about loading from a random person online. While I'm sure everyone on here is great, I would like to see load data on the powder from the manufacturers.

·
Super Moderator
42,676 Posts
Just started reloading about a year ago, I only have trouble finding load data on specialty rounds like sub sonic, super sonic etc. I usually find them after searching for awhile online. To be honest, I don't think I would take advice about loading from a random person online. While I'm sure everyone on here is great, I would like to see load data on the powder from the manufacturers.
You won't find a whole lot of people here offering advice on load data. I have seen that 99% of the people here will ask "what does your manual say?" or something along that line. I will tell you what I use but will never recommend any loads.

·
Premium Member
19,699 Posts
I just found a picture I took a few years back which reminded me on this thread. I found the brass like this in the scrap at our local range.

View attachment 253330

I mean if those primers don't fit into a crimped primer pocket they sure should fit the 2nd case, or the 3rd, maybe the 4th? Hmm the 5th than?
What is it they said about the definition of insanity?

I re-used the primers and scrapped the brass.
About the 5th case from the left 1st one with the mouth facing us. Looks like they bent the neck pretty bad. No telling what they were trying to do. Hope that reloader is still with us.:eek:

·
Administrator
12,871 Posts
Some of us share reloading data on obsolete cartridges that are no longer in the manuals. Usually through private messages more than in public.

Use your manuals for common loads.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
There's nothing wrong with checking out other people loads from the interweb...the problem is not using your brain.....if you have manuals that say the range is 10-18grs(min/max),and you read a load of 22grs,either they're BS or the fool is about to blow something up(which is always an amusing utube video)...Good Example--You have a good load of 23.8grs/Benchmark with a bolt rifle...you read from 2 or 3 sources a great load using 23.3,do you try it?...I load 44 Spec with 240LFN and 7.5gr Unique,just like Skeeter,I had people tell me it's dangerous,okey dokey...Subsonics,if you like quiet,are a free for all...The load data out there is to ensure the heavy bullet WILL go all the way down up to a 22" barrel,that just does'nt work for me.Most of my sub loads are from experimenting within known parameters-the great thing about .300Wh is the close water capacity with some handgun rounds.If you see a load that intrigues you,check out powder burn comparison,manual min/max,primer type,do some thinking,come to a conclusion,enjoy handloading

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I won't post load data either, I will occasionally write something like "the starting load in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook for Varget and a 450 gr. bullet" or "a midrange load for a 124 gr bullet with Win 231". If someone is really interested, they can either look it up, or PM me. I would really hate it if someone used a load I wrote up and it caused their gun to fail. It could happen with a typo error. I would never trust a load found on a forum, without working it up myself, from a published source.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On all of the gun platforms I read.. i can't help but notice the large up-tick in new reloaders. And from what I can see.. many are 'crash-courseing' it and just plowing thru without really understanding what they are doing.. skipping steps.. etc. IMHO.. I'm kinda glad some of the public ranges are still closed or social distanced.. I don't want to stand next to the millennial who learned to load...kinda.. 5 minutes ago and is now going to try to grenade his gun in the isle next to me.

Sad and scary all at once. At least some are finding help .
it's not rocket science. Come to think of it, it kind of is. But it's really easy. EVERYONE was a beginner at one time. I started in the early 1980s. And, I started reloading when I needed higher pressure loads. AND I never blew up any firearm in all of those years.

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
it's not rocket science. Come to think of it, it kind of is. But it's really easy. EVERYONE was a beginner at one time. I started in the early 1980s. And, I started reloading when I needed higher pressure loads. AND I never blew up any firearm in all of those years.
You probably did like most of us and read books.. maybe asked questions.. got mentored.. or just read books.. and took it slow. Nowadays there are people buying gear.. and making rounds that night after 5 minutes of youtube.. then posting questions about deformed rounds that obviously show that they did not learn how to set up their dies.. and most of the worst ones don't want to buy a scale and instead use powder scoops.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some of the questions I can understand because I have been guilty of doing them myself. You read the manual and something does not make sense, ask some one, for me I had no one local to ask, the one old goat in a pawn shop I did ask claimed to be a NRA instructor when I asked about the reloading class he walked into the side room quickly loaded a 22 hornet round and arrogantly said any idiot can do it, I left and never went back. So I turned to the internet met some more jerks but met some very fine people that took the time to educate me and I truly appreciate it today.
I remember when I started reloading 223 I had just bought my first AR, What kind of powder??? OK H335 highly recommended, Hornady 55gr fmj -- check I have WSR primers now what load looked in all my manuals by then I had bought about 25 manuals off ebay that covered almost 40 years of loading data found the range for H335 then asked online what are you using response from many was with H335 25/55 (25grs powder under a 55gr bullet) loaded 10 rounds drove to the range and tested fired one checked repeated 5 times no issues fired 5 round group looked good that has been my go to ar blaster load for years. I will agree some of those asking questions are scary but I want to believe that many are just nervous and just want someone else to validate what they are doing. OH by the way according to something I read about 2005 said that the small primer issue was because of Winchester that was during the big GREEN push at firing ranges especially indoor ranges, Winchester came out with there WIN Clean ammo in the white box, (still have 2 cases of that in 45acp stuck under the bench) supposedly the non toxic primer compound was much hotter than the old compound so the went to small primers to compensate. Is it true dont know for sure sounds reasonable and since all my pistol brass came off of one indoor range and shoot house that mandated Winchester or ICC frangible ammo all SP primer all non toxic must be something to it, I actually gave a buddy of mine 300 pieces of LP 45 brass so i could just use one style of brass. This is my first post but I like what I see in the way people are treated here.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Some of the questions I can understand because I have been guilty of doing them myself. You read the manual and something does not make sense, ask some one, for me I had no one local to ask, the one old goat in a pawn shop I did ask claimed to be a NRA instructor when I asked about the reloading class he walked into the side room quickly loaded a 22 hornet round and arrogantly said any idiot can do it, I left and never went back. So I turned to the internet met some more jerks but met some very fine people that took the time to educate me and I truly appreciate it today.
I remember when I started reloading 223 I had just bought my first AR, What kind of powder??? OK H335 highly recommended, Hornady 55gr fmj -- check I have WSR primers now what load looked in all my manuals by then I had bought about 25 manuals off ebay that covered almost 40 years of loading data found the range for H335 then asked online what are you using response from many was with H335 25/55 (25grs powder under a 55gr bullet) loaded 10 rounds drove to the range and tested fired one checked repeated 5 times no issues fired 5 round group looked good that has been my go to ar blaster load for years. I will agree some of those asking questions are scary but I want to believe that many are just nervous and just want someone else to validate what they are doing. OH by the way according to something I read about 2005 said that the small primer issue was because of Winchester that was during the big GREEN push at firing ranges especially indoor ranges, Winchester came out with there WIN Clean ammo in the white box, (still have 2 cases of that in 45acp stuck under the bench) supposedly the non toxic primer compound was much hotter than the old compound so the went to small primers to compensate. Is it true dont know for sure sounds reasonable and since all my pistol brass came off of one indoor range and shoot house that mandated Winchester or ICC frangible ammo all SP primer all non toxic must be something to it, I actually gave a buddy of mine 300 pieces of LP 45 brass so i could just use one style of brass. This is my first post but I like what I see in the way people are treated here.
Yep,as long as you have some intelligence(getting rarer every day),you can figure if 10,000 people on the interweb say 25grs and 10 say 30grs,maybe cross reference that load in various manuals-shazam-it's a great load for 55gr bullets...I like the Hornady manual for everything BUT load data-it's ridiculously low on many calibers.

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
I am waiting to see if I can make some real good deals buying reloading equipment from people who gave up on the idea.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I started reloading in 1980 the first things I bought were books on reloading.
Read and read some more before the first reload session.
Oldest wants to reload now- he'll be getting a ton of RCBS equipment WITH the books to read and study arriving months before.
Yeah - there WILL be a test.

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I am waiting to see if I can make some real good deals buying reloading equipment from people who gave up on the idea.
Just might be able to if ammo comes back into availability

·
Premium Member
8,683 Posts
I have already reaped the benefits of 2 sales where a person decided he was done with reloading, I got my 10 pound lead Furnace and 2 sets of molds.

I have already seen never fired Guns in pawn shops

41 - 60 of 71 Posts