The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently picked up a Taurus TCP 738, with the intention of carrying it in a front pocket. I have tried a DeSantis Nemesis and a Remora holster. With the Nemesis, 9.5 times out of 10 the entire holster pulls out of my pocket with the gun, no matter how I adjust my draw. With the Remora, 9.5 times out of 10 the holster sticks so well to the inside of my pocket, that it pulls the lining of my pocket out with it, turning my pocket inside out, and the gun stays in the holster. I have tried pushing the gun out first with my thumb, but the Remora just folds when you push on it (mine has the partial sweat guard and combat cut). I have also tried pushing with my middle finger while I draw with the same results.

I think the issue is that my pockets are larger. They are not tight on the holster at all. I'm a huge guy, and as such wear large pants. I have had the same results in khaki pants (docker style), cargo shorts (carrying in a regular pocket, not the cargo one), gym shorts and most recently with jeans. I recently got some new jeans that are a little snugger in the pocketey region, so I thought that might help with the Remora, but it still pulled out with the gun.

Do you have any suggestions on a pocket holster that would work well with larger pockets? It likely can't be something that relies on sticking to the pocket to keep the holster in the pocket, as I'm sure I'll have the same results as with the Remora. I have a larger gun which I carry in a N82 IWB holster at times, but I'm looking for something I can just grab, thrown in my pocket and go, and not have to drop trou to get it attached to my pants, or stick it in my waistline, making my already snug pants even more snug.

As of now, I am leaning towards something like I've seen online that has a "hook" that grabs the pocket on the way out, or something that has a lip you can push off of as you draw to get the gun out of the holster. For example, the Alabama pocket holster, which has both.

http://www.alabamaholster.com/product/front-pocket-holster/

But I thought I would reach out and see if there were other suggestions, as my experience has been limited.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
41,399 Posts
How old is your DeSantis Nemesis holster? I had an older one that had the same problem you describe. A month or so ago, I was talking with the owner of my LGS about the exact same thing and he showed me his Nemesis holster. It had a sort of rubbery substance on the outside of the holster. The holster stayed in his pocket every time he pulled his pistol out. He said it was the newest model.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
How old is your DeSantis Nemesis holster? I had an older one that had the same problem you describe. A month or so ago, I was talking with the owner of my LGS about the exact same thing and he showed me his Nemesis holster. It had a sort of rubbery substance on the outside of the holster. The holster stayed in his pocket every time he pulled his pistol out. He said it was the newest model.
Thanks for writing. It was a new holster, but I suppose may have been the old model. There's no way to know at this point. I bought it from Walmart online and took it back shortly after I got it. I had assumed it was the newer model, only because I read somewhere that the older model didn't have as much of a "horn" or "wing" sticking out from the side of the holster to aid in keeping it in the pocket, but the one that I got did. But I didn't have an old and new one side by side to compare it to, so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
Thanks. I have seen the Mika holsters online. Maybe I need to do a little more research. Seems to me like the design wouldn't disguise the gun very much. It would still be a lump with a grip sticking out.
True, it looks like a lump in the pocket. Like a wadded up hankerchief or something.

642-2.jpg
Everyday Carry.jpg

But in the years I've carried it I have never heard, "OH MY GAWD!! He's got a GUN in his pocket!"

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Remora is sending me an IWB holster with their RFT insert (hardened edge, which I'm thinking I can push off on to draw). We'll give that a shot and see how it goes. As far as sticky holsters go (I've only tried two), it's incredibly sticky. If I can just get a little push on the draw I think I'll be in good shape. Otherwise, that Mika does look good. I'll probably wind up with more than one holster just because I like buying things I don't necessarily need. Or I might try one of those Mika holsters for my .38sp.

On a side note, Remora holsters has FANTASTIC customer service!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FWIW, I did order a Mika pocket holster to compare to the Remora. I emailed Mr. Mika a couple of times with questions prior to ordering, and he got back right away, which was impressive. And he called me moments after I placed the order to answer any questions I had. Mindblowing customer service in this day and age! I feel really good, if nothing else, about ordering a holster from an actual guy who makes them in his one-man shop because he wants people to have good holsters, and not from a corporation. We'll see if it goes any better than my experience thus far with the Remora. Mr. Mika seems convinced it will.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts