Pocket pistol holster advice sought

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Hovannes, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

These seem to be all over the place when it comes to design, materials, quality and price.
    Where to start? I'm looking for a S&W M 640. I've seen $11 Uncle Mikes and $50 customs on line. I don't mind spending more if the holster conceals better but will it?
    I also plan on adding a IWB and OWB to the collection but those are even harder for me fathom than a simple pocket protector, so I figure I'd look for the pocket holster first.

What I'm trying to avoid is spending a lot of money on a lot of different holsters I won't use.
    Thanks!

2. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

My first thought was to recommend an Alien Gear holster but after looking at their website, I don't see any holsters for that particular model being available.

3. Hovannes

Hovannes Well-Known Member

I was able to see a Bianchi 152 up close at a Turner's Sportsman grand opening sale a few weeks ago and liked how it fit in my jeans front pocket.
    So far no complaints for this type of holster. I like the tab that gives a positive boost when drawing.
    Concealment is excellent (I don't wear tight jeans) but the draw can be slow. This would be fine if I find my self in a threatening situation and have my hand "at the ready" inside the pocket. To draw from outside the pocket is what really slows things down.
    I understand this is the nature of the pocket holsters.
    I plan to add a OWB and/or IWB depending on dress and circumstances.
    But for now, the 152 is comforting and definitely a keeper

tedwitt likes this.
  4. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

I use Uncle Mikes, I like them.

5. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I also like Uncle Mike's for my Ruger LCP. I have a S&W 638 and have never considered pocket carry for it.

shootbrownelk, drymag and tedwitt like this.
  6. bigjohn62

bigjohn62 Well-Known Member

I carry a s&w 442, uncle mikes holster works for me. Like Jedwil, I have never carried it in my pocket.

7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I carried in an Uncle Mike's for a couple of years. Sweat from my leg went through the cloth pocket and was absorbed, over time, by the holster. It started self-destructing - little black fuzzies all over the gun - and smelled like dirty socks.

I suppose that if you were to replace it yearly, you wouldn't have these problems, but even at 8 bucks ($7.72, cheapest price at Amazon), that adds up over time.

Got nothing against Uncle Mike. I've got both belt and shoulder holsters from him. But I don't advise the pocket.

8. riadat

riadat Active Member

Borraii 2 kydex holster is about the best concealment. The reason is that the gun sits lower in the pocket because the holster is parallel to the gun and covers up the trigger. Uncle mikes compared to this makes the gun sit higher and the butt sometimes sticks out of some shorts im wearing.

It has a hook on it which catches your clothes and make some noise when you draw it. That is the downside since you can quietly draw from uncle mikes.

9. cec2

cec2 Well-Known Member

I've only used Uncle Mike's pocket holsters for my J frames when I occasionally pocket carry. My oldest one is in bad shape, but they don't cost very much to replace.

I also have a plain Safariland pocket holster but it's a little looser and is rigid enough to keep its shape. I keep my loaded SP101 in it at home and have never carried it. It was inexpensive although I don't recall the exact price.

I read tons of reviews, though (woman shopper, LOL), and both Alabama and Mika pocket holsters seem to get a lot of great reviews, FWIW. The lead time may be a little long. The Alabamas are kydex and I don't remember what the Mikas are.

Edit:
    A lot of people use the Desantis, too.

I don't have any other holsters except for a couple of Remoras, which I also like and got a BOGO deal. They can be used in a pocket but they are also IWB holsters, similar to the Sticky holsters. The ones I have are for a Shield and an M&P 9C which are big for my pockets.

shootbrownelk, drymag and carver like this.
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I would just as soon carry an anvil in my pocket as a J frame S&W.
    I probably could conceal the anvil about as well, too.

cec2, shootbrownelk, gvw3 and 3 others like this.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

When I used to carry a Ruger .38 LCR, I used a DeSantis pocket holster.

12. tedwitt

tedwitt 440 Supporting Member

Mine are both inside the pants size 5 for my ruger and s&w.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    flboots, cec2, drymag and 1 other person like this.
  13. delcrossv

delcrossv New Member

I got a Desantis for my 940, I like it. I also use it with my 342 (which actually works better because it's smaller)

14. carver

carver Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My take on pocket holsters is, no one is going to see it until you have to reholster, and won't nobody be noticing by then! They all wear, and wear out. Buy the cheapest one you can find that works. Replace it every year or so. I've seen these things made from alligator hide, and other exotic materials, like I said, it's in your pocket, no one is going to see it!

cec2, shootbrownelk and drymag like this.
  15. Firpo

Firpo Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Seems like I’ve already posted this, maybe in another thread, but in the event I’m having a “senior moment” Hedley holsters are top notch.

CBB25823-6D94-4D1E-A142-B1DEC04DBC96.jpeg

cec2, shootbrownelk and drymag like this.