Polishing feedramp

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

GroovyTed1
    (1/15/03 9:33:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Polishing feedramp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In a different thread in the 1911 forum, Xracer said something like:

"If, even with a good mag, you have a problem with semi-wadcutters or hollowpoints, you may have to polish the feedramp.

"If that proves necessary, c'mon back and we'll tell you how. (And no, you don't use a Dremel tool!) "

Well, I have a CZ that I want to polish up a bit and I thought I'd ask how you guys do it... So - How do you guys polish the feedramp on your semi-autos?

-gt

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/03 9:52:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Polishing feedramp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well I've used a Dremel but prefer a die grinder. Works faster

The idea is to remove the least amount of metal but achieve a smooth glass like finish. If you think you can achieve that go for it. If you have reservations let a pro handle it.

I've been doing that sort of stuff for 40yrs. You'll never learn any younger.

Smoky, got the name grinding guns

Jbobin
    (1/15/03 10:29:54 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Polishing feedramp
    Smoky,
    Do you use any sort of lapping compound, or what type of abrasive bit do you use? Is the bit cone shaped or cylindrical? I want to do this on my Taurus PT908 9mm auto, the ramp is pretty rough and I carry it daily. It feeds consistently, but I would still like to ensure that it always feeds.

Good topic.

Jb

Smoky14
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/03 2:20:06 pm)
    I use a product called craytex. It is an abrasive in a rubber like tip. It comes in different shapes and coarseness.

It is safe to use depending on the speed of the tool. If you are just starting out I'd use a variable speed drill, don't hold it in one spot and maintain the origional contour.

Good luck

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/16/03 9:41:33 am)
    Well, I get very nervous when I see somebody use any power tool on a feedramp.

Here's the way I do it with an M1911.

Here's what you'll need:

dial caliper
    1 foot long piece of 3/8 (.375) wooden dowel
    1 piece of 200 grit sandpaper
    1 piece of 400 grit crocus cloth
    2 piece of 600 grit crocus cloth
    1 old tee shirt
    toothpaste
    Q-tips
    rubbing alcohol

1) First I strip the gun to the bare frame and take off the handles.
    2) Dip a Q-tip in the alcohol and clean the feedramp.
    3) Run your little finger along to feed ramp to see how rough it is.
    4) Cut a 2" strip of 200 grit and wrap the dowel tightly until it's .45-500 in diameter
    5) Keeping the angle of the feedramp the same, run the dowel/sandpaper along the feedramp (checking frequently with your little finger) until MOST (but not all) of the roughness is gone.
    6) Pin the barrel & link into the frame and hold in the "battery" position. Check for a "lip" between the feedramp and barrel chamber. Unpin the barrel & link, and use the dowel/sandpaper to reduce the "lip" (KEEP THE ANGLE THE SAME) until you have a smooth transition. TEST FIT FREQUENTLY!
    7) Clean with a Q-tip and alcohol.

Run your little finger over the feedramp and edge of the barrel chamber. At this point it should feel "just a very little" rough.

Do #4 with the 400 grit crocus cloth.
    Do #5 until it "just" feels smooth.
    Do #6, 7, & 8. It should now feel smooth.

Do #4 with 600 grit crocus cloth.
    Do #5 thru 8 until everything has a nice shine.

Do #4 with a piece of dampened tee shirt and a bit of toothpaste.
    Do # 5 thru 8 until everything has a high shine.

Clean all parts of the gun thourougly, lubricate, and reassemble.

CAUTION: Be especially careful when working on alloy framed guns such as the Lightweight Commander. The metal is very soft and comes off quickly.

THIS IS VERY TIME CONSUMING! When you get tired, STOP! I usually do this over a couple or three days. Remember, you can always take more metal off.....but you can't put it back on!

Edited by: Xracer at: 1/16/03 5:42:41 pm

Jbobin
    (1/16/03 9:48:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Feed ramp
    Xracer,
    Will this work with a revolver? Just kidding....

Thanks, I will print your response and put it in my toolbox! Why is it that toothpaste always works its way into all of my hobbies? At least my Taurus and Gold Cup will look great and smell fresh and clean!! (it is a good buffing compound)

I love this forum.

Jb

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/16/03 12:00:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Feed ramp
    Jack...shame on you...mentioning that other thing in the same (post) breath as a Gold Cup!

Hey X'er. Sounds like you got it down to a science. Should I go ahead and send all my 1911's to you at once or just one at a time????????

2003 Rose Bowl Champions!!!!
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*
    Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/16/03 5:39:29 pm)
    Jbobin....of course for a 9mm, you'll have to use a smaller dowel.....

BUT, not only do my 1911's feed flawlessly, my dentist gave 'em each a lolypop!

Boomer....I'd gladly do your 1911s, but I consider polishing feedramps to be a character-building exercise....and you need all the character-building you can get!

whiskey101
    (1/16/03 6:38:35 pm)
    I use a dremel with a felt tip and a light polishing compound. It works well, then I finish with Flitz on a felt tip.
    ***** NOTE: The above statement is my opinion; please feel free to share it. However, it is not meant as a required replacement for your opinion. If you do not agree with my opinion, form your own. *****

So he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out in to the street.

boomatic
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 10:03:51 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: Feed ramp
    Character...what character...I don't need no...

Hey maybe you could just do my new (old) Llama as an example and then I would have something to you, shoot for!!!!

Besides...I like Americanizing my feed ramps!!!!!

2003 Rose Bowl Champions!!!!
    Boom-a-tic
    *Ne'er-Do-Well Wannabe Junior Non-Staff Moderator of the Test Forum*
    Progenitor of the Boomatic Plague

Edited by: boomatic at: 1/17/03 10:04:40 am

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/17/03 5:23:51 pm)
    same as whiskey, Dremel felt tips, a little fine lapping compound, and little metal polish. Mirror-like, with little/no danger of screwing it up.
    Rich

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/17/03 11:40:45 pm)
    Yup, Dremel for me too - use the variable speed tool with the long flex line connection so's I can get in and use it like a pencil. The little plastic jar of polishing compound on the felt wheels works wonders. The round sticks of diamond dust inpregnated rubber are great for finishing work.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"