The Firearms Forum banner

Polishing my Old Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag

Tags
ruger
6K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  shootbrownelk 
#1 ·
I have been thinking about polishing my Old Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag. It was manufactured between 1995-1996. I am assuming that it is stainless steel and will polish up pretty good. I have attached two pictures. I am looking for advice on:
  • why or why not? assume it is simply personal preference
  • what polish or compound should I use and where to find it?
Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Nice Vaquero! Yes, polish it. I've had many stainless guns. The best polish I've come across, bar none, is MOTHERS Mag & Aluminum Polish. Buy at any auto parts store.

This is a picture of my Old Ruger Vaquero .44 Mag. The barrel was originally 7-1/2". Because I wanted to make it one of my carry guns, I had the barrel cut down to 4-5/8", recrowned, and added a modern Black hawk front sight ground to my specifications.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

#4 ·
I have a number of stainless guns, I just keep them clean. I personally wouldn't polish one. A couple of things to ponder: All polishing compounds are abrasive, they contain very fine grit. They may leave swirls or very fine scratches that collect grime and show up later. If you do polish, take the grips off, the polish will be like fine sandpaper and will damage the wood finish. Whatever you do use a very light touch. You can always go harder but you can't go easier.....

#12 ·
I wouldn't, but it's yours and your choice. To do stainless you need the proper compounds
in three grades and buffs for your grinder you start with the dark gray compound and work down to a fine white compound. It will take time and you will end up coated with each of the compounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.