polishshooter question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/1/02 1:07:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All
    ezSupporter
    polishshooter question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Picked up a M44 Hungarian/Romanian all matching numbers including the bolt. Was $49 too much to pay for it? Stock is dinged up some but the rifling looks reasonable and there doesn't look to be any cracks in the stock.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/1/02 4:52:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: polishshooter question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Teresa -

Anything that shoots safely, for 50 bucks and under is one heck of a deal - even a Ruushian Pry Bar!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/1/02 6:40:24 pm)
    You mean Hungarian? Does it have "02" stamped on it or the stock?

$49 is about an average good price for one.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/1/02 9:07:00 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: polishshooter question
    As soon as I sneak both rifles into the house tomorrow I'll let you know. Mom would not be pleased.

procrastinator
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/1/02 9:44:33 pm)
    I LOVE IT!!! Here we are sneaking guns past the wives and you have to sneak them past mom! We have a lot more in common than just a love of guns.
    The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/2/02 12:47:04 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Bob, couldn't tell. Just know that Big-5 advertised them as Romanian or something. All in all since I got the pick of the crop (first person in the store yesterday) I guess I did okay.

procrastinator - how else does one get a gun into the house but to sneak it in?

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/2/02 1:25:39 pm)
    The Romanian ones will have a laurel leaf crest on the receiver with "RPR" inside of it. The Hungarian ones have "02" somewhere on them. I have seen some with a mix of both types parts.

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/2/02 1:36:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    It's Hungarian - found the 02 in three places, one on the barrel and one on the magazine and they stamped it on the butt stock as well. So both the one's I picked were Hungarian. Already have a Romanian so now I need a Russian one and a Polish one - oh god no something else to collect....

I need help.............

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/16/02 11:38:31 pm)
    Sorry for missing this T...that's a GREAT price for a matching Hungarian...in fact, I have YET to see a matching Hungarian. You oughta buy THREE at that price, shoot them all, keep the best shooting one, and list the others on GB starting at $60...or trade one for a Pole and one for a Russian.

Did they come with rods? That's worth another $10, but most G-VG ones don't have them.

They usually saw a lot of action and were not refinished like the others...

And many saw action in the Hungarian Revolution.

I enjoy shooting my Hunky almost as much as I do my Polish ones.

BTW, for some reason I've found alot of Polish M44s with Hungarian bolts...don't know why, unless it's got something to do with the Polish 1952 contract to sell them to the North Koreans....

The best deal I've seen was my mint unfired matching blonde Romanian I stumbled on at Dunhams...on sale for $59.99 retail.(WITH a rod...)

BTW, T, you will need at least TWO Russians ...a wartime and a post-war...they ARE different. (slightly) (and a laminated stock one too, although you can kill two birds with one corrosive round if you get a wartime in a laminated stock... )

And don't forget the Chinese type 53...

"Don't hear him call you an ---hole, hear WHY he's calling you an ---hole." -------- From "A Season on the Brink"

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (9/17/02 5:33:44 am)
    Last batch of 5 Polish M44s I got were all in Hungarian stocks. I am curious about these Polish rifles with all the Hungarian parts. It is an obvious arsenal redo.