The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You could post stories like these all day long. The world has lost it's ever living mind.
This one sums it up pretty well.
Short story, with about a 15 second clip.
A business teacher is talking about how speakers use "um"s and "ah"s while speaking.
He goes on to make the point that other cultures do exactly the same, but of course the words are different.
He's been fired/suspended for giving a Chinese example because the Chinese word when repeated sounds like you might be saying the English "n" word.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/faculty-outraged-prof-booted-chinese-word

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,802 Posts
Decades ago, a brilliant mind named Robert Heinlein wrote a bunch of books based on a fictional history he created - they are now known as his Future History series. In many of those books - Friday comes to mind - he quotes newspaper headlines and classified ads from his imagined future. When I read them in the 70s I thought them insane - heck I still do. But today I look at the LA Times and see the same headlines, reported as serious news. He was right - the inmates are finally running the asylum.:(

·
TFF Chaplain
18,897 Posts
Proof that not all college people are smart.
Education does not mean intelligence. Many people are educated far beyond their intelligence.

Even in New Testament times people thought that. Acts 26:24 While Paul was saying this in his defense, Festus *said in a loud voice, “Paul, you are out of your mind! Your great learning is driving you mad.”

·
Registered
663 Posts
"Proof that not all college people are smart."

I need no other proof than what I've learned by working at a university for the past 20 years.

Sometimes I'm trying to assist the faculty in using technology and wonder,,,
Who ties your shoes for you in the morning?

Aarond

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Proof that not all college people are smart.
Let me see...I am going to put myself in hock for $100,000 and waste five years of my life, getting a degree in something like "Interpretive Medieval Dance" that I will never find a job in. Then I'll complain how I can't pay off my loans because MacDonald's doesn't pay enough and the government should pay them for me.
See it all the time. Skip college, get in a trade school for two years or less, get a job in that trade immediately upon graduation and get paid three times minimum wage.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Let me see...I am going to put myself in hock for $100,000 and waste five years of my life, getting a degree in something like "Interpretive Medieval Dance" that I will never find a job in. Then I'll complain how I can't pay off my loans because MacDonald's doesn't pay enough and the government should pay them for me.
See it all the time. Skip college, get in a trade school for two years or less, get a job in that trade immediately upon graduation and get paid three times minimum wage.
Okay, you know that making sense is illegal in the 21st Century America???

I have pushed the Trade School for decades. Way back in the day we all got the beginnings of those trades in high school.

·
Garandaholic
9,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I have pushed the Trade School for decades. Way back in the day we all got the beginnings of those trades in high school.
Yep,
It was never intended that everybody go to college. Just the opposite. It was always intended that only a small percentage of folks should go to college.
Just another thing that went awry when liberals took over the schools. EVERYBODY needs to go they say. We need an educated work force they say.
Try and find a plumber/electrician/mechanic/laborer.
They shame kids into going. They shame kids who want to learn a trade.
I love pointing out how much my technicians make to every English major I meet.
Even better, they help society.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Yep,
It was never intended that everybody go to college. Just the opposite. It was always intended that only a small percentage of folks should go to college.
Just another thing that went awry when liberals took over the schools. EVERYBODY needs to go they say. We need an educated work force they say.
Try and find a plumber/electrician/mechanic/laborer.
They shame kids into going. They shame kids who want to learn a trade.
I love pointing out how much my technicians make to every English major I meet.
Even better, they help society.
My dad told me what I do is not as important as how I do it. Pushing a broom or building rockets do your best. Find something you like and commit to it.
I think of him whenever I hear this song. A lot of young folks would do well to really listen and think.

·
Premium Member
12,995 Posts
"Proof that not all college people are smart."

I need no other proof than what I've learned by working at a university for the past 20 years.

Sometimes I'm trying to assist the faculty in using technology and wonder,,,
Who ties your shoes for you in the morning?

Aarond

The two dumbest clucks I've ever met were two profs I had in college. Husband and wife, a pair of 24 Carat, chromium plated morons without a whit of common sense between them.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Political correctness is accomplishing it's purpose. Every word or action is subject to scrutiny.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Yup, and a plane ride to Viet Nam for our senior trip.

I agree, college is not for everyone and the trades provide a good honest living for many. For some strange reason those are not the folks out in the streets protesting and rioting.

Political correctness is accomplishing it's purpose. Every word or action is subject to scrutiny.
By those who need to get a real job.

·
Registered
375 Posts

As a Journeyman Maintenance Electrician, I made a good 25% over what my EEE degree would have brought me. I've trained multiple degreed apprentices that came over from the dark side. An English major one was the worst. Couldn't tell her anything but Affirmative Action moved her through anyway. Both of my sons have almost worthless degrees. Starting to stray aren't we.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts