The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tried and true load (on a good day multiple 3 round groups touching at 100yds) for my 30.06 for Nosler Partition (Hunting) and Speer SP (Plinking) 150 gr bullets. Recently I was unable to find any Nosler Partition 150gr in .308 locally so I decided to try the 150gr Nosler Accubonds.

I loaded 50 as of the Speer and Accubond yesterday with the same powder load and the results of the Accubond were underwhelming.

The best group of Speer was approx 2.5 inches at 200 yards (I am obviously rusty, been traveling and working a lot lately), while I couldn't even seem to get a viable group out of the accubonds. Felt like they were spraying. Granting that some of the shots could be operator issue, the fact I felt the Accubond wasn't even grouping is literally keeping me up at night.

My main question, for those more experienced, do the polymer tipped rounds make enough of a difference to require a full load workup even though they have the same weight as the SP like partitions and aforementioned Speer?

Conversely, or more importantly is the difference I am seeing a product of the Accubond BT vs the Flat profile of the Partition and Speer?

Heading back to the range Wed or Thur to try shooting a few more test groups. Any thoughts or tips much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am also wondering if it is between my ears, could be my lack of confidence in changing a proven formula?

Everything I know tells me I should be able to expect similar ballistic performance out of both at short range....

·
Registered
140 Posts
Rogue,
Please do not take this as a criticism but why would you expect a different bullet to fly to the exact POI of another?
Each is an entity unto itself--the bearing surfaces are different, the COL may be different on your loaded rounds and most certainly the barrel harmonics differ.

You need to work up the load just like you would any new one----find a powder it likes, load a ladder test, play with COL until you find how much or little jump it likes, I'll bet you know the drill.

No reason to suspect the inherent accuracy based on what you loaded past and present.

YMMV,

Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rogue,
Please do not take this as a criticism but why would you expect a different bullet to fly to the exact POI of another?
Each is an entity unto itself--the bearing surfaces are different, the COL may be different on your loaded rounds and most certainly the barrel harmonics differ.

You need to work up the load just like you would any new one----find a powder it likes, load a ladder test, play with COL until you find how much or little jump it likes, I'll bet you know the drill.

No reason to suspect the inherent accuracy based on what you loaded past and present.

YMMV,

Gary
I guess I was hoping that with the identical bullet weight and powder load that I would see similar performance at short range, even if the POI varied slightly (was hoping for vertical component only).

I didn't consider the bearing surfaces (bullet profile) to be that great of a difference, but in hind sight the Accubond is more slender and elongated. As to the COL I did not adjust the seat to make them match COL due to the more slender tip of the Accubond to keep the same Lands clearance or gap, which is what I was taught was the more important feature for accuracy between loads. As far as barrel harmonics well... that requires the ladder and starting from scratch to account for. I'm guessing that between these three variables you are correct, I need to start with the Ladder and find a powder load for the Accubond that works for the rifle.

Even so, I would expect that I would be able to see some type of a group on paper at 200 yards, even if the POI was different from the SP load. Right now it felt like the Accubonds were "spraying" rather than grouping as I mentioned in my previous post. Like I said I am going to grab my sled (forgot it on my rush to the range yesterday), and take as much of myself out of the equation as I can later this week. I have about 30 more of them after all.

Thank you for the info, luckily I made sure to load the tried and true formula alongside the new bullet so even if they aren't my Nosler Partitions I am confident enough that the Speer Hot-Cor will perform as needed on game for my upcoming hunting trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts