The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
42,039 Posts
Very nice memento and tribute to your grandpa. After my father died a couple of years ago, I found all his discharge papers from the Navy from 1946 but no letter like that, again, very nice.

·
Premium Member
8,534 Posts
I have my Fathers Honorable Discharge dated 1946. It is not in the best shape, but is a keepsake none the less. I also have his Navy Dress Blue Uniform. These will be passed down to my only child in time.

That letter you have is indeed a piece of history.

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
26,159 Posts
I'm currently cleaning out my late father's home and came across this letter addressed to my grandfather. I think it's just an amazing souvenir that offers a moving tribute to a truly great generation of Americans!

View attachment 140065
Good Morning All....With all of my associations with the U.S. Navy, paper-work and
forms, this is the first for me that I have seen such an informal appearing letter. It
is as if the Honorable James Forestall is addressing a personal acquaintance...Oh sure,
I have my own accumulations of DD-214's over my naval career but not anythings so
very ........well, humble. There is an air-craft carrier on line that is named after this
Navy Admiral...Chief

Remembering the Fire on USS Forrestal - The Maritime Executive
https://www.maritime-executive.com/features/remembering-the-fire-on-uss-forrestal
By Navy Live 2017-07-28 19:50:58. Surrounded by water, but with nowhere to go, no way to escape, Sailors on USS Forrestal (CVA 59) watched in horror for one split second as flames began to engulf theirship, July 29, 1967. They jumped into action, but then came explosion after explosion, fireball after fireball. Caused by ...

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Very nice.I have tried to no avail to find papers on my grandfathers USN service on an early air craft carrier during WW1. I read that there was a fire involving some old Navy records.

Reactions: carver and rooter

·
*VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*
26,159 Posts
Very nice.I have tried to no avail to find papers on my grandfathers USN service on an early air craft carrier during WW1. I read that there was a fire involving some old Navy records.
Good Morning Sir....You are indeed well-informed about the naval records fire....This is one
so very much reported and the destruction of personnel records: Chief

The 1973 Fire, National Personnel Records Center | National Archives

https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/fire-1973.html
Shortly after midnight, on July 12, 1973, a fire was reported at the NPRC's military personnel records building at 9700 Page Boulevard in St. Louis, MO. ... As many military personnel records had been partially or completely destroyed by the fire, the new branch's central mission was to reconstruct records for ...

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Fortunately I had my discharge and DD 214, I sent copies to the records center after the fire and they were able to reconstruct my file. I used my VA benefits in college, home purchase and more recently hearing aids through the VA hospital.
The time I spent in the service and later Police Dept is partially to blame for my passion with collecting and shooting firearms, when they handed me that first 1911 and Carbine I was hooked.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Several years ago I wrote to the government in Missouri to get copies of my GF discharge from the Navy in WWI so I could join the SAL.
They had them, i paid 13 dollars for 26 pages or 26 dollars for 13 pages. When I get back to VT i can find out for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,458 Posts
Several years ago I wrote to the government in Missouri to get copies of my GF discharge from the Navy in WWI so I could join the SAL.
They had them, i paid 13 dollars for 26 pages or 26 dollars for 13 pages. When I get back to VT i can find out for sure.
Keep me posted.I'd like to do that myself.I know very little about my GF naval service and I'd like to know more.

Reactions: carver

·
Registered
380 Posts
My Warren Co Recorders office recorded all DD-214s free that were brought in by vets when we returned. Copies are free. A nice service.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello all!

My continued cleanout has unearthed a pretty complete collection of naval records; everything from DD214's to weekend liberty passes (even some photos of Dad with his Japanese girlfriend that I never knew of :D)!

Here are a couple ones I thought were especially cool:

Grandpop's training class (He's far right in the front row, squatting). This was one day after his 22nd birthday, roughly 18 months after his initial enlistment.
2018_09_26_20_33_30_Page_1-retouched.png

It may not be as unique as the letter in my original post, but a treasure nonetheless. It is my understanding that the Ranger was the only ship my father served on through his entire career (64-69), and by his own account, she was the "only boat in his life" on which he was seasick lol.
1966-10-16-USNcommendation_Page_1.jpg
1966-10-16-USNcommendation_Page_2.jpg

There may be one or two more gems worth sharing - I still haven't been able to scan everything. One in particular is Dad's "Neptune's Court" summons, presumably earned on his first equatorial crossing.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
BEC47277-27F1-4225-92DF-D986E06C8D1F.jpeg
When I was discharged I was given a DD 214 and copy of a not very imaginative discharge form. After loosing WWI my Grandfather (fathers side) was given this discharge ( War Chronicle).

·
Premium Member
13,320 Posts
Tucked carefully away in one of our safes are my Dad's WW2 USN discharge certificate, one of his dog tags - my kid brother has the other one, YN1 stripes, Combined Operations (Iwo Jima, Philippines, Okinawa) shoulder patch, and a number of ribbons. Meaningless mementos to some people I suppose, but for me they're priceless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts