The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any thing wrong with dropping a couple desicant packs in a container of powder? :confused:
My 6lb container of 700X is in a dry place but i live in a very humid climate.
Will silica desicant harm the powder?
Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Is there any thing wrong with dropping a couple desicant packs in a container of powder? :confused:
My 6lb container of 700X is in a dry place but i live in a very humid climate.
Will silica desicant harm the powder?
Thanks for the help!
Welcome to the forum! If that powder is stored in an air tight container, then there is no need to worry about humidity. If you have central air, and heat, then there is no need to worry about humidity. I don't know how much powder you go thru, or how long 6lbs will last you, but if you keep it in the house, in an airtight container, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have 2 plastic rubber seal boat storage boxes full of primers. Have several desicant blocks in each box, the ones that change from blue to pink when they need to be rebaked to remove humidity. They turn between blue & pink in about 8 months in my basement where humidity stays around 40%. Anyway, I wonder why they turn so quick, but I keep baking them. These primers are for my grandkids, don't want them going bad.

I don't worry too much about the powder, just let it set on the shelf, but always tighten the lids. My basement stays from 55 degrees in winter to 65 in summer, doesn't change much what I believe is important. Only had powder down there 3-4 years, haven't seen any go bad or not preform when loaded. Alaska Interior is a dry climate, if we didn't get the snow pack, we'd be a desert.

·
Premium Member
34,364 Posts
Down here in the South the humidity will run 90 - 100% at almost any time. I have powder that is probably 15 years old, and still works as well today as it did when I bought it, and no desicants. Well, at least from my limited observations!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.