Powder anyone?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by cannonman, Jul 1, 2020.

1. markr6754

markr6754 Well-Known Member

The .300BO is such a versatile round, but so much depends on the thousands of variations possible from projectiles, to barrel length, to suppressed or no, and so on. Assuming that you are talking AR only, I've discovered that nearly every projectile can be loaded sub-sonic. The real question has to do with "do you want the AR to cycle?"

I've loaded 120gr TJ Conevera Powerbond RN projectiles with 11.4gr IMR4198, they fired...didn't cycle. Fired fine and were accurate to the 23 yards I'm limited to indoors. No chrono, but Sierra lists that load to be around 1020 fps from a 16" barrel. I got it to cycle with about 11.8gr, but not reliably...and that should have been about 1070 from a 16" barrel. Since I'm shooting 8.5" and 10.5" I'm pretty confident they didn't break 1000 fps.

I've tried all of the powders I listed. If you have an iPad I’d suggest the Sierra reloading app. It is superb...it list about every powder usable with 300BO, and a large assortment of Sierra projectiles. I try to match profiles for other projectiles and try out the various loads they list, supplementing that with data from the Hornady iPad app. Makes for some fun load work ups.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  2. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Before I retired from United I went back to being a 'Gate Lead'. We shipped Hazmat all of the time. Normally the shipper or freight agent put a Hazmat Form on the item, then I'd take it off, take it to the Flight Crew for them to sign - they'd keep a copy then I turn my copy over to Flight Ops for their records. No copies were left with the shipment. There should be a sticker or decal on the shipping box to note what kind of Hazmat it contains. We couldn't accept or load the shipment unless there was an authorized decal or sticker label on the item.

The main reason for a Hazmat designation is so that the shipment can be stored/loaded separately (or kept a specified distance apart) from other types of Hazmat that may interact adversely. If two of the wrong things are stored or loaded together there could be a fire or explosion. We had to re-qualify on them every year per the FAA.

BlackEagle and accident like this.

3. zant

zant Well-Known Member

You're using powders recommended by "factory"-they have to list just powders that will push a sub down a 16-24" barrel.....they suck-1680/4198/BO....I push 155gr at 1000 all day long for bolts....for ARs my loads cycle 247grNOE cast in a 10.5 no problem....shoot 2 mags every night.

4. zant

zant Well-Known Member

A 5.56 pistol under 10.3 is pretty stupid and useless for any kind of real work.If you're looking for a toy to make fireballs then go under that.The terminal ballistics and proper operation is sketchy for the toy pistols but a lot of fun.One of our group has a HK51-9.5" barrel-totally useless but we have a blast at night making fireballs.My personal favorite length is 11.5/12.5 in 5.56-hit steel no problem at 300yds and still has acceptable terminal ballistics.I've killed many a hog with a 12.5 Grendal.

5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle TFF Chaplain Supporting Member

Wild Turkey Cogburn likes this.
  6. ALA

ALA Active Member

———————————

I just stopped by my local Cabela’s tonight, and they are practically cleaned out. I spoke to the store manager who told me that the powder manufacturers had shutdown production during the lockdown period, and are trying catch up now. Put that together with more people getting their firearms licenses and more people reloading due to the increased cost of ammo (or the lack of ammo on the shelves), and it’s not hard to see how we got here. Me? I’m now looking on-line for a source.

joe45c and flboots like this.
  7. flboots

flboots Well-Known Member

JW you maybe happy you bought so much. Was in Academy the other day looking for ammo. The clerk was asked about powder they are out of it. It looks like ammo and the makings is going to get less before it gets better.

chaswea, joe45c and ALA like this.
  8. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i have seen all i want here in N.E.Alabama. two places in Cullman also. some places have plenty of guns. the supply chain is better here i guess.

rick

chaswea, cannonman, flboots and 3 others like this.
  9. ALA

ALA Active Member

According to the news, ~2.5 Million people became NEW gun owners in America during the 2020 pandemic. Let’s hope they are smart enough to vote out the 2A Infringers this fall.

10. cannonman

cannonman Active Member

If you would, please tell me a name or two of a store that I might call to see about shipping. Thanks!

chaswea likes this.
  11. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

Search Bentons Shooters Supply. They're right down the road a little bit. They can be a bit pricey, but usually well stocked.

BlackEagle and chaswea like this.
  12. mudman35962

chk midsouth shooters supply, graf and sons. have used both. NO problems.
    what part of tenn you near cannonman?

Wild Turkey Cogburn and chaswea like this.
  13. DustyDogg

DustyDogg Member

I'll debate this with you my friend as I have spent 12+ years with my own small independent transportation company. If you buy powder or primers at a store like Sportsman's Warehouse, the powder and primers are shipped from the mfg to the company warehouse then onto the store. All of this is via commercial over the road drivers. Neither the driver or the company gets paid any more to haul a hazmat load, or partial load, than they do with groceries or appliances. A truck from a retailer's central warehouse may have SOME powder & primers, but the majority is other goods, clothing, camping supplies, etc. Yes, FedEx and UPS have the hazmat fees, so the local gun shop does need to build that fee into there price.

14. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

He's north of Chattanooga and just west of Knoxville.

cannonman and mudman35962 like this.
  15. mudman35962

driving distance to benton or midsouth. good way to spend a day i think.

rick

cannonman and sharps4590 like this.