The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my first Lee dies for .223 and .40 thanks to you guys for steering me in the right direction! My question is actuallw what questions do I need to be asking myself when deciding what powder to use for these 2 calibers? I see some that are very course and some fine like...well...powder. Is all powder the same? :dontknow:

· Premium Member
3,328 Posts
Someone will be along to give you the long answer. Short answer is NO all powders are not the same. Did you order or do you have load data manuals? That is where you should be starting. Manuals give mucho more info than just load data. Manuals are your friend.;):D

· Banned
2,751 Posts
For the 40 I would suggest a medium to slow burner. I do not recommend Super fast powders like TiteGroup in high pressure rounds like the 40 for beginners. To easy to make a mistake, miss a double charge etc.

If you are going to meter/drop your charges then I would go with a easy metering powder like True Blue, Silhouette, AA #5, AA #7 or WSF.

Powders for the 223 are a plenty. Pick one and do a load development. General rule of thumb, but not written in stone is for light bullets 50-60gr use a faster powder. For heavy bullets from 60gr on up use a slower powder.

For light bullets I like, AA 2230/ X-Terminator and 748, for heavy bullets I like Varget, R-15, AA 2520 and TAC.

All of the above 223 powders meter well.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
H335 for 223
power pistol for .40

Both meter well, consult your load manuals, they Provide tons of info on powders and their characteristics. Good luck

· Registered
233 Posts
Winchester 748 with 55gr bullets in the .223 seems to work the best for me in my rifle, and for the .40 I like Hodgdon UNIVERSAL with 155 and 180 gr bullets.

What type of rifle are you shooting ? Bolt gun ? Autoloader ? The powder may make a BIG difference. Autoloaders require a certain pressure range to function properly. Too much or toolittle pressure will cause malfunctions, and may damage the gun. At the very least, too much pressure will cause premature wear. If you spent a couple thousand on a nice rifle, it would be a shame to ruin it. Be careful. Get several reloading manuals, and study them before you start reloading.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
clays extra clean for .40 is what I love best, and AA2230 has been my choice for .223 lately although there are tons for both.

this is a useful guide for determining the burn rates for any given range of powders to help you out although it's not the end all be all. Most important is to follow the recipes and reference as many manuals as possible, start with the lower end loads and work up from there. Never go below minimum published charge weights either.

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

· Registered
123 Posts
I don't load .40, so I can't offer any advice on that one, but as for.223, I personally like IMR 4895. Been useing it for years. It measures out real nice & unless ya compress the powder, ya can't overcharge the cases - - it just won't fit. Max charge comes right up to where the bottom of the bullet should go.
Also good for .308 & 30-06.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
That's a good book to have. It won't give load data but is very instuctional.

40 cal- Universal
223- H335

These have worked well for me.
yeah, Universal is a better powder for .40 than it's cousin, Clays, it's slower burning. (I just always have Clays on hand for shotgun and wind up using it for pistol all the time)

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok! gonna start looking for loading manuals then! I cant thank all yallenough for making this way easier than i expected! alot of great info and very fast responses to questions. Ive never been on a more helpful forum! just goes to show DC folks that not all gun people are terrorists! hahaha

· Registered
3,128 Posts
ok! gonna start looking for loading manuals then! I cant thank all yallenough for making this way easier than i expected! alot of great info and very fast responses to questions. Ive never been on a more helpful forum! just goes to show DC folks that not all gun people are terrorists! hahaha
I don't think any of us are terrorists! :eek::)

but the folks running the show lately sure think so. People who reload especially are generally pretty stable and upstanding types of people IMO. The nutjobs who go on shooting sprees are not honest gun owners. But that's a whole 'nuther subject....

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not alot of common sense going on up in the power center of America! Seems as though the best folks Shoot guns and drive VW's! haha
oh and I just now ordered Lymans 49th edition manual! found it for a great price on amazon.com!

· Registered
2,689 Posts
A loading manual (or five) are essential to reloading safety. Sure, there's sites on the web that you can find load data and other than the powder manufacturer's sites, who monitors them? Stay with a published reloading manual(s) and you'll have a lifetime of load data.

Personally, I pay very little attention to any forum expert, Gun Shop Guru, range rat, nor gun counter clerk for any load data. Their hearts are in the right place, just being helpful, but I've seen/heard some really wild and sometimes dangerous load data on line or at the range. Sometimes I'll refer to a powder mfg.'s site but usually compare that info with my published manuals.

Lyman's reloading manuals are pretty good and have a powder section that describes uses for most powders available today.

· Registered
3,128 Posts
not alot of common sense going on up in the power center of America! Seems as though the best folks Shoot guns and drive VW's! haha
oh and I just now ordered Lymans 49th edition manual! found it for a great price on amazon.com!
VW's not bad, close. They drive Toyota SUV's/Trucks.....:D

You will love the 49th, that is by far my favorite. But like said, the more the merrier. It will give you a better feel overall for what is safe and potentially the most useful load for you.

Also, a cheap way to get almost all reloading info is the caliber specific books that have most manual's loading data copied into them; usually under $10, I have them for every one of my common calibers. Very handy and a good way to start.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.