The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything I read recommends 4195 for the Garand, but I see 4064 also as an option, and I have a lot of 4064 left over from loading for my Swift, and I also use it for 7.62x54...

Does anybody use 4064 for their Garand? I’m trying to find 155 Amax but nobody seems to have any...

·
Super Moderator
40,005 Posts
I use the original M2 loads, 50 grains of IMR4895 and a 150 grain FMJ.

If you have a Hornady manual, they have a section especially for the M1 Garand. I just looked at mine and they do not list IMR4064 as a load for the 155 grain A-max. They do have loads for a 168 grain and a 178 grain, though.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
This question comes up often. The Garand was meant to use IMR-4895. You CAN use other powders (sometimes) or modify your rifle to work with other powders. I've read that some competition shooters do use 4064. There was a paper written by John C. Clark on the subject concerning Match Loads and suitability for the Garand gas system, and as I recall one of those loads did list IMR 4064. You might be able to find a copy of that paper on the internet. Very worth while reading, and he also discusses things like "reading how where your ejected brass lands" can tell you much about how well your propellant is reacting with the gas system.

My two little pennies? Stick with IMR 4895. That was what your rifle was designed for. For the most accurate loads I'd opt for the more modern and available 175 grain match bullets - the original 173 grain FMJs seem to have all but disappeared.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
These large calibers take a bunch of powder in each round so a little cheaper powder is a plus. I use Shooter World powders to reload my large calibers. I use mostly Match Rifle for my .308, 7.62x54r, 30-06 but there are others you could choose for about a 3rd less in price.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
These large calibers take a bunch of powder in each round so a little cheaper powder is a plus. I use Shooter World powders to reload my large calibers. I use mostly Match Rifle for my .308, 7.62x54r, 30-06 but there are others you could choose for about a 3rd less in price.
Respectfully, Smoke, the Garand's gas action doesn't play well with any but very specific powders. As you said, there are many great/cheaper powders out there for different calibers and situations, but unfortunately the Garand isn't one of them.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
I use IMR 4064 in my .375 H&H, .308 and in my 30.06. But the .308 & 30.06's are Bolt guns and AR's. I'd probably stick with what the others have recommended....the factory load....IMR 4895. Unless you can't find any, then I'd do some serious research for other compatible powders for the Garand.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
When I finally picked up a Garand and started reloading for it I remember reading something like when your brass is ejected and is landing between 1:00 and 3:00 you are pretty much good on your powder charge . It was true cause my first few test loads were landing about 4:00 and it was not grouping good but when it was grouping good it was in the 1-3 o clock range . There was more about if the brass was landing one way or the other but can't remember that far back . But of course check your manuals for powder charges .

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I remember that from my DCM service rifle match days😎 You never figured out why the old timers always showed up an hour or two early and fought over the far left shooting position until you got the first hot brass down your neck under your shirt usually in the middle of the prone rapid fire stage😉😳

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Our church did a gun safety shoot a few times . Even thoe most of us had our CCWs it still pays to get more info on safety . And lots of newbies . But anyway all of us who had been to any type of shooting thing all quick walked to get the far left spot . It's sad when your own Pastor gives you a elbow nudge to try and get past ya to get there first !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts