The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,445 Posts
What you are experiencing is a very common situation, notice I did not call it a problem. What you do need to do is don't stop, meaning keep pulling the handle through. What you are really doing is cutting a few grains of powder in two which does not hurt a thing. If it really bothers you I can suggest that perhaps you buy some 4350 short cut and if they don't make 4350 in short cut I know they do in 4831 which also works well in a 270. I usually don't drop powder directly in my hunting rifle cases because I usually don't load that many rounds. Rather I drop the powder into a powder pan, I deliberately dump light then setting the pan on an electronic scale I add a grain or two with one of those little powder dribblers to get the desired charge. There is a guy in Oregon who makes a powder measurer that does not cut the powder, however when it was all said and done I have about 500 bucks in a powder measurer and I wouldn't do it again.

The one very important thing that I like to share with new people to reloading is don't even think about making up a light load of 4350 or any other slow burning powder (light meaning 50% of normal) as it will blow a gun into far more pieces than any overload usually killing the shooter. Should you want know why drop me a note and I will explain.

· Registered
1,445 Posts
When measuring those extruded powders, it's helps to be very consistent when you "throw" the charge...use a sharp snap up of the handle to dump the charge and another sharp snap down to reset for the next charge. Don't hammer it, but a good consistent quick flick of the lever will help you meter consistent charges each cycle. You're gonna shear a few grains so that'll just be something to live with.
You are welcome and Bindernut explained the dumping process better then I did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.