The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about powder storage. When your not gunna use the powder or primers is it necessary to keep those things in a climate control room? Do you use the silicone packs to absorb the moisture ? I'm gunna be loading in the basement of my house and I would say it has a little bit of moisture in the air. I just don't want the stuff to get ruined. And do you keep it locked up? Just trying to figure out how to build my bench.

·
Super Moderator
47,518 Posts
It is probably best to keep at least the powder in a climate controlled area. I have all my powder inside the house but I do leave the primers in my "reloading building" out in the back yard. I do keep them in sealed ammo cans but that is all.

·
Registered
19,150 Posts
climate control will make them last longer.

I keep all my powder bottles indivdually bagged in 1g ziplocks. same with my dies/boxes, and primers.

keeps the moisture out.. since they are bagged in a climate controleld environment.

might be overboard.. but what the heck.. ziplocks are cehaper than powder primers or dies..

·
Registered
624 Posts
DO NOT keep primers in metal ammo cans. You have just built a bomb in the event that can is dropped and any of the primers detonate. SAAMI recommends primers only be kept in their original containers. If you're really worried about humidity, put then in zip baggies and maybe store them in the climate controlled part of your house. Moisture is generally not a problem for primers. The priming compound is mixed wet and allowed to dry before it will detonate. Damp primers will quickly dry out and they will work just fine.

Powder should be stored in the original container which should be fine protection from humidity. Again, if you're really concerned, keep the powder in large zip baggies, or store it in the climate controlled portion of your house. Heat is the real killer for powder.

Not knowing where you live, I don't know how much of a problem humidity is, but for years I lived along the Gulf coast, and had no problems with moisture.

·
Super Moderator
47,518 Posts
I know when the words ammo cans are mentioned, one immediately thinks of the surplus steel cans but I didn't mention STEEL ammo cans, I bought some of those plastic "imitation" ammo cans. I sure as hell ain't going to remove the primers from their original containers and dump them in anything. I have dropped a can or two several times and so far nothing has ignited.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I know when the words ammo cans are mentioned, one immediately thinks of the surplus steel cans but I didn't mention STEEL ammo cans, I bought some of those plastic "imitation" ammo cans. I sure as hell ain't going to remove the primers from their original containers and dump them in anything. I have dropped a can or two several times and so far nothing has ignited.
I can't imagine anybody dumping primers into a can. One drop and kaboom! I have dropped the single packs enough to know that if I dropped a whole can,,, game over. I would highly advise against that if anybody is. Except for a liberal of course.

·
Registered
19,150 Posts
i've accidentally dropped a tray of win or cci primers, and so far have never had an accidental detonation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.